+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yes, but are you finding his assistance in any way helpful? Doesn't sound like it to me, and he's certainly pissing off others.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Unfortunately your posting history does not support that. There are 3 posts where you effectively rubbished the AI S500
    I have never rubbished this amp. I simply stated that it is not high end and that Mike may be asking to much of it. Also bearing in mind what I said about component drift over years that introduces distortion.

then you called the thread a waste of time. Hardly what I would call constructive or particularly nice!
    Bearing in mind that the thread was titled " Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else." Then Mike goes on to say that he does not believe the amp is the issue but rather the room. Then yes, my comment was constructive. If it was friendly or not is of no bearing. My comment was honest.

Perhaps you could use your experience in audio in a more constructive manner in future!
    I am being constructive. You have not yet addressed the comment I made concerning distortion introduced by old out of spec components. Frequency sweeps will not fix this. I believe this to be very constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Does he appreciate your 'assistance' though, that's the point?
    I am sorry Marco but that is not the point. I may suggest something that someone may not like. However it does not make the suggestion incorrect.

I would "friendly suggest" that you ensure your assistance is welcomed first, before carrying on giving it regardless, otherwise it's simply annoyance, not assistance.
    The whole point of starting a thread on a forum is to hear what anyone has to say. Nobody asks if they should be aloud to speak. It is for the person who started the thread to decide who he/she should listen to based on what they say.

You stated earlier that your intention wasn't to fit in, which didn't seem like the behaviour of someone who genuinely wants to be constructive
    Incorrect Marco. My intention is not to fit in. My intention is however to give an accurate opinion as possible, if that means I fit in or not.

so now I'm TELLING you to fit in, and alter how you communicate with people, or you'l simply be removed.
    Your choice, amigo: shape up or ship out. End of. This is your last chance.
    So there we have it. There has been no answers to the legitimate points I raised about the issues Mike is facing with his system. No answer about how to negate distortion induced by aging components. Which, btw I may have been able to help with.
    I have spent decades communicating with others in a succinct to the point manner in order to accurately isolate issues.
    I have never insulted anyone here. However I have been called a troll with no justification. That is okay though. There is a double standard here.
    If you wish to ban me then go ahead.
    Sources:
    Turntable - Rega P2 (Modified).
    Streamer - Cambridge Audio Azur 851N.
    Reel to Reel - Akai GX635D.
    NAS - Thecus N4200 Pro.

Amplification:
    Phono Pre - QUAD Twenty Four P.
    Pre Amp - QUAD QC - Twenty Four.
    Power Amps - 2 x QUAD 11 Forty mono blocks.
    Headphone Amp - QUAD PA - One.

Rack:
    Blok Stax 400 and Blok Stax 300

No, I'm telling you to moderate how you communicate with people, as quite clearly your rather curt and abrupt manner isn't going down well with some, and only an arrogant and insensitive person would continue in the same vein regardless. Also, in the interests of accuracy, you weren't called a troll; the post you're referring to simply posed a question:

"Does anyone ever read a post and wonder if it's written by a troll?" That's quite different. Do recognise yourself in that description, then?

Therefore, it's now up to you to comply with my warning or not (and show your true colours). If not, then I'm sorry, but you're not welcome here. You also don't seem to have grasped that this is a staunchly subjectivist forum, and your rather pro-objectivist stance doesn't sit very well with 'Our Ethos'.

Did you read the following section of the forum before joining (including this rather pertinent post): https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...999#post857999

If not, you would do well to heed its content, as it's relevant to how you've conducted yourself here so far.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Stephen.

Many thanks for clarifying Marco.
    I am very much objective. I stick to facts not feelings.
    As you have clearly stated, this forum is subjective. By definition, about feelings not facts. Therefore there is no way anyone can reach a conclusion here. As you stated it is a subjective forum. Feeling count more than facts.
    I really, truly, really do not belong on such a forum.
    I should have realized this is a such a place with your comment of :-

Complete and absolute paranoia.
    You can ban me should you wish. However I will no longer return unless it is requested. This is clearly not the place to be.
    I wish you all well. I hope you sort out your issues Mike. However this being a subjective forum I very much doubt it unfortunately.

Sources:
    Turntable - Rega P2 (Modified).
    Streamer - Cambridge Audio Azur 851N.
    Reel to Reel - Akai GX635D.
    NAS - Thecus N4200 Pro.

Amplification:
    Phono Pre - QUAD Twenty Four P.
    Pre Amp - QUAD QC - Twenty Four.
    Power Amps - 2 x QUAD 11 Forty mono blocks.
    Headphone Amp - QUAD PA - One.

Rack:
    Blok Stax 400 and Blok Stax 300

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    As you have clearly stated, this forum is subjective. By definition, about feelings not facts. Therefore there is no way anyone can reach a conclusion here. As you stated it is a subjective forum. Feeling count more than facts.

You can ban me should you wish. However I will no longer return unless it is requested. This is clearly not the place to be.
    I wish you all well. I hope you sort out your issues Mike. However this being a subjective forum I very much doubt it unfortunately.

I'm part objectivist and also part subjectivist. I build my own speakers, and I've got to be honest and say it didn't take me long to realise it's pretty much impossible to guess how well the phase tracks through the crossover without measurements. But, I also use my ears to fine tune my speakers (using software to guide me, but sometimes using nothing but my ears (only when the software isn't showing me any difference)). I've been in the diy game for years and I'd argue that the best designers use a combination of measurements and ears. Like a lot of things in life, it's finding the right balance (something that can only be learnt through experience IMO).

I've been told off more than once by Marco for my blunt rudeness (objectivist views with no compassion for the subjectivist opinion), and being perfectly honest, he may have had a point (I say "may" because there's no way I'm fully admiting I'm wrong ). Who want's to admit they're wrong?.

I admire polite forum users and wish I could be a bit more like that. I guess we we should all make a little more effort to be nice... I wise man once said, if you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

I'm Adrian.

Exactly Matt, very well put, much the approach I try to take myself. Hifi and audio is very much subjective, IMO as has often been said on AoS we all have different ears, aural experiences and preferences, by definition this means that one persons system that sounds wonderful to them may not to another.

My wife is good case in point, she just doe not care whether it’s my hifi, the tv sound bar or the Apple speaker she listens to. She does hear a difference but the subtleties of differences are lost on her, Sue’s words not mine.

With respect to measurement of sound in rooms and of the output from systems, my experience is that they can be used as a guide to see how something may be performing across the frequency range. I remember at the Wolfson Sound and Vibration Lab spending 3 days in the aneachoic chamber measuring some speakers from a quite well known manufacturer, at their request. We were quite exited because they measured very well. We then put them in our lab system put on some music and they sounded quite uninspiring, flat and dull, we were shocked. One of the sound engineers took them home and tried them, they came back and confirmed the same. It turned out the manufacturer had set out to design a speaker with as flat response as they could which they hoped would be even handed across all frequencies, when they came to get the results and speakers they said we had confirmed their thoughts, they had produced a speaker without character. In contrast the measurements I have taken in my listening room, have often shown highs and lows across the frequency range, some are inherently due to the room and listening room, which I can modify by changing furnishings and/or position, and some are down to the speakers themselves and there design. So where it’s the speaker once position and listening point is optimised for the room then IME it really is down to whether you as and individual like what you hear or not.

So as you say a subjective and pragmatic mix of listening and measurement is my approach.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Chris.

The trouble with over use of a objective outlook when discussing hifi , it guides with lovely distraction away, from what is in abundance within music.

Measurements cannot measure what we hear. as example has anyone seen a measurement showing us the ambience of a live recording venue? Yet we easily hear the ambience and location of musicians in good recordings. So is best I think, to certainly use some measurements as a guide, but a subjective outlook is always far more valid.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    The trouble with over use of a objective outlook when discussing hifi , it guides with lovely distraction away, from what is in abundance within music.

Measurements cannot measure what we hear. as example has anyone seen a measurement showing us the ambience of a live recording venue? Yet we easily hear the ambience and location of musicians in good recordings. So is best I think, to certainly use some measurements as a guide, but a subjective outlook is always far more valid.
    ���� Yes very true
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm paul.

Being interested I had a read of https://www.powerinspired.com/brochu...w-sep-2018.pdf and according to them it is actually quite a good product outputting mains distortion of less than 1% under full load, standard mains across the UK is around 3% distortion without and crap added from the house circuit.
    Can you explain what is distorting on the mains
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Well, Stephen, firstly if you don't wish to encounter the same issues on another forum that shares similar principles to this one (and there are many), you need to grasp the FACT that a) facts are not necessarily applied by everyone to the same subjects, in the same way, and that actually some of your 'facts' are only opinion, and b) most importantly, regardless of that, when you're communicating with PEOPLE, on ANY platform, online or otherwise, feelings are always going to come into it, as you're interacting with other sentient human beings, not robots.

Secondly, if you don't wish to encounter the same issues elsewhere, you also need to grasp the fact that forums are not your personal playground in which to 'educate' others or show how clever you are, in such an arrogant way as to always consider that you're right, or derive some sort of smug satisfaction from that.

They exist as a platform for sharing information with others with a mutual interest, with a view to helping the assembled COMMUNITY (a concept you don't seem able to grasp) learn in way that THEY (not just you) enjoy and find beneficial. Therefore, when you contribute to a thread that someone has started and proceed to give advice, in a style that isn't appreciated by either the OP or others reading, then the decent thing to do is moderate YOUR behaviour, not insist that everyone else simply accepts 'how you are'.

As I've said, it's about fitting in and respecting the fact that you're a guest on someone else's webspace, rather than considering that you've got a God-given right to do what you like. That is how we insist people here conduct themselves. We want 'team players', not arrogant individuals who are only interested in self gain. You say you're trying to help, but then show little appreciation of how that so called help is received by those concerned.

We do care about facts, and there are many knowledgeable folks here who are quite capable of providing them on many different subjects, but who also possess a certain level of people skills and self-awareness, in order to successfully impart their knowledge in a non-confrontational way, which will be both understood and appreciated by the recipient. You don't just steamroller through discussions, regardless, with a total disregard for the negative impact your advice is having on others.

Lastly, you would do well to remember that audio is largely a subjectivist hobby, thus enjoyed largely by subjectivists, as the vast majority of people are happy to use their ears and other senses to make their decisions, without needing to rely on science. Therefore, the FACT (since you like facts) is that as a staunch objectivist, YOU are in the minority, not us or others like us, and you'll find that out unless you join a forum that caters solely for your type of mindset. Try Hydrogen Audio, for instance: https://hydrogenaud.io/

That said, I won't ban you, as you've done nothing to warrant such action, but quite clearly this isn't the place for you, and I wish you well for the future

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast