+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Never mind this bollox, have you fitted that SC35C and NOS stylus yet?

Marco.
    No I have to bolt my TT shelf to the wall first, after moving my room around, basically swapping everything 180 degrees. These are big steps for me!
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Lawrence.

Actually I blame the speakers now. Coincidentally I've just listed a pair that rock and would match the amp perfectly

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    I feel I must remind you why you started this thread:-
    Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else

You have acknowledged the issue is your room. I just want to be clear that this whole exercise has been a wast of time. Do you think possibly that you should adjust the title to "room acoustics can really suck"
    It certainly is not a waste of time! If someone is struggling for whatever reason and any of us can help to improve the result, then that is great. I think Mike is on his way to a better sounding system and has a good understanding of how to approach so that’s great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dennis.

Three things keep coming to mind, perspicacity, incisiveness, and penetrative thinking.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    It certainly is not a waste of time! If someone is struggling for whatever reason and any of us can help to improve the result, then that is great. I think Mike is on his way to a better sounding system and has a good understanding of how to approach so that’s great.
    Good post Adrian!
    Barry

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Good post Adrian!
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    Three things keep coming to mind, perspicacity, incisiveness, and penetrative thinking.
    Emmmm........
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    I feel I must remind you why you started this thread:-
    Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else

You have acknowledged the issue is your room. I just want to be clear that this whole exercise has been a wast of time. Do you think possibly that you should adjust the title to "room acoustics can really suck"
    Can we see a photo of your lovely Quad amps mate, with valves a-glowing.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    No I have to bolt my TT shelf to the wall first, after moving my room around, basically swapping everything 180 degrees. These are big steps for me!
    OKies, keep us posted

Oh, and Mr KnuckleDragger, cheer up! Less terse, rather negative posts, please. This is a smiley happy forum, for smiley happy people, so embrace that vibe and fit in, my man

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Can we see a photo of your lovely Quad amps mate, with valves a-glowing.

Certainly. I'm happy to post a piccy here if you would like. Are you doubting me?, lol. I apologies if I misjudge but people often doubt.
    But if that is what you want, I'm happy to oblige. The weekend is now here. Please watch this space chap.
    Last edited by KnuckleDragger; 31-10-2020 at 02:44.
    Sources:
    Turntable - Rega P2 (Modified).
    Streamer - Cambridge Audio Azur 851N.
    Reel to Reel - Akai GX635D.
    NAS - Thecus N4200 Pro.

Amplification:
    Phono Pre - QUAD Twenty Four P.
    Pre Amp - QUAD QC - Twenty Four.
    Power Amps - 2 x QUAD 11 Forty mono blocks.
    Headphone Amp - QUAD PA - One.

Rack:
    Blok Stax 400 and Blok Stax 300

+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast