+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    And you've taken into account the fact that I'm only driving AN J speakers? Hello.
    ANJ are not that sensitive and the amps real world power is probably less than quoted, You could easily be clipping it on peaks, such as a trumpet blast.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    ANJ are not that sensitive and the amps real world power is probably less than quoted, You could easily be clipping it on peaks, such as a trumpet blast.
    Martin, they are supposed to be 93dB rated nominal 6ohms which is reasonably sensitive by most people’s standards. It’s very similar to the Snell Js they are based on, and these are easy to drive with an S500. Mike is unlikely to be driving either of his valve amps hard as his room is not large, I doubt he has got its wick turned up more than 1/3 on the volume pot. I rarely drove mine over 40% as it all got pretty loud above that, although at one 50th party it held its own at about 60% with no noticeable distortion.

I have noticed on a couple of reviews from individuals the odd comment along the line that “some coloration in lower treble”, so maybe this along with the difficult room is what Mike is experiencing.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

That Soro SE drove my AN Ks which are less easy to drive than the Js with no problems, sounded meaty and tight and tidy at the top. No strain at all.

I'm Lawrence.

Something's not quite right here but whether it's the room, the system or Mike's ears is hard to know without someone going over and giving a second opinion (maybe taking some alternative smoother sounding cables with them to have a play with).

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Martin.

I find it hard to imagine anyone else not being irritated by the aspects of my hifi which irritate me, my girlfriend certainly complains about it! Once my TT is set up I'll see whether its any better with vinyl. I changed my room around today, what a relief, hifi now much easier to access, speakers tidy in the corners, fair bit of space around them. I may get rid of those drawers to create more space around the hifi as I've yet to fit the TT shelf, and don't want it too close to the speaker. Much neater than before though and sounding a bit better, a cleaner sound, with slightly better resolution.

Tracks which cause issues? John colranes favourite things can grate at times, at the highest notes, Parts of Cape verdean blues (H Silver) sound a bit strident, not the first track though. Our man in Paris - That fantastic lp by Dexter Gordon - a few tracks off that. Some 70s jazz which is more dissonant anyway like Cannonball Adderly - Pyramid, and especially Eddie hendricks - Sunburst, Donald Byrd - street lady, these might be difficult one's to get sounding right on any system on CD anyway, I don't know.
    /
    Just ordered a cd of Donald Byrd Street Lady, see if it is the recording that's the problem. Should be here tomorrow.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Something's not quite right here but whether it's the room, the system or Mike's ears is hard to know without someone going over and giving a second opinion (maybe taking some alternative smoother sounding cables with them to have a play with).

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Well as Mike says his girlfriend hears the same issue as he does it doesn't seem likely it is his hearing. He is using QED XT40's, es a budget cable but a highly respected one, and known for not colouring anything across the frequencies, they are also low impedance so should be helpful with driving the J's from his S500 or Soro.

Perhaps some other cables might be worth trying I thought about Duelund Dual DCA16GA tinned copper multistrand or perhaps try these pure copper and bi-wire, not expensive either https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...ker-cable.html 2 * 3m runs would only cost £30, so well worth a try to see if they make any improvement/degredation over the QED's. The Duelands would be a bit more of an investment needing 4 *3m at £8.20/m +VAT so £118.08.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Just ordered a cd of Donald Byrd Street Lady, see if it is the recording that's the problem. Should be here tomorrow.
    Good idea, well done Martin.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

The other aspect that i don't think anyone has mentioned is Mains, is there anything that has been added to the mains system either in your place, or to the whole building that might be a factor, if you think this may be worth considering, try and get hold of a known good design mains filter block, and run your whole system from it first to see if it makes a diffrence.
    And for the record [excuse the punn] i think Adrian's asumption on the room playing a part has merit, so a re-arrange, and some carefuly placed room correction material may well be a big help.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    The other aspect that i don't think anyone has mentioned is Mains, is there anything that has been added to the mains system either in your place, or to the whole building that might be a factor, if you think this may be worth considering, try and get hold of a known good design mains filter block, and run your whole system from it first to see if it makes a diffrence.
    And for the record [excuse the punn] i think Adrian's asumption on the room playing a part has merit, so a re-arrange, and some carefuly placed room correction material may well be a big help.
    A...
    Yes, I've had 2 amps blow on me here, so I now use a mains regenerator, the AG 1500 (power inspired).
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Ahh, ok, so have you tried just plugging back into the mains for a short time, to see if infact it may be down to the mains regenerator as far as the sound issue ?
    Yes, I've had 2 amps blow on me here, so I now use a mains regenerator, the AG 1500 (power inspired).
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 58 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast