+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Ahh, ok, so have you tried just plugging back into the mains for a short time, to see if infact it may be down to the mains regenerator as far as the sound issue ?
    No, I'm scared of blowing another amp, but I do not some cheap 4 way socket with surge protection, the regenerator just puts out a very steady 230v, how would that degrade the sound?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

If its a true regenerator, then its just a big power amp in itself, hence it will impose its own character on the system!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    No, I'm scared of blowing another amp, but I do not some cheap 4 way socket with surge protection, the regenerator just puts out a very steady 230v, how would that degrade the sound?
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

If its a true regenerator, then its just a big power amp in itself, hence it will impose its own character on the system!
    Indeed, hence why I don't use them, even though I've maxed out the mains supply, powering my system, in *every* other conceivable way!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, hence why I don't use them, even though I've maxed out the mains supply, powering my system, in *every* other conceivable way!

Marco.
    Being interested I had a read of https://www.powerinspired.com/brochu...w-sep-2018.pdf and according to them it is actually quite a good product outputting mains distortion of less than 1% under full load, standard mains across the UK is around 3% distortion without and crap added from the house circuit.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah I'm sure it's fine, mate. Regen units just aren't part of my 'mains philosophy', which centers around a hard-wired, minimalist, fuse-less (where possible) approach, and lowest possible impedance.

I don't like 'unnecessary boxes' or complication in my mains set-up

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Its full of switch mode supplies, and class D circuitry, hence the reason i asked if Mike could remove it, and try the system on its own.
    But if he's not willing to entertain doing that, then i don't know what else to sugest, we need to eliminate all potential avenues, and this i am sure may be one that needs addressing before completely dismising its posible affect.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Being interested I had a read of https://www.powerinspired.com/brochu...w-sep-2018.pdf and according to them it is actually quite a good product outputting mains distortion of less than 1% under full load, standard mains across the UK is around 3% distortion without and crap added from the house circuit.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Mike.

Its full of switch mode supplies, and class D circuitry, hence the reason i asked if Mike could remove it, and try the system on its own.
    But if he's not willing to entertain doing that, then i don't know what else to sugest, we need to eliminate all potential avenues, and this i am sure may be one that needs addressing before completely dismising its posible affect.
    Hi anthony, I will try the amp through regular mains with 4 way plug with surge protection which I guess will stop anything blowing, as I said I've had both an old JVC and a mint Roksan integrated that I just had to write off due to dodgy mains. Not quite as bad as my experiment with high end carts, a £400+ Audio technica which I broke in the first few days of use due to drowsiness brought on by hay fever, not a good day that one. After Adrian's and others suggestion on here I bough new Gold lion tubes for the S500 - both el34 (thanks to SPeedyJ) and ec88 and other 2 at the front, and it is sounding pretty sweet, can only hope they get better after run in, as they've only been in a few hours, mind you they do come 'burned in' already from Hotrox. Listening more carefully to my system now there seems to be some slight hiss with some parts of music coming from the tweeter, so I swapped speakers around it persists - but only with certain sounds - not persistent at all, so I've now inferred that it is down to the AN Js being quite a revealing speaker, like the raspy sound you sometimes get with wind instruments, when you hear the performer breathing into the instrument.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Adrian.

Yes i have experienced something similar, I put on Cd1 of Hawkwind Soace Ritual through Mission 508 CDp, AI S500 and Snell Js and after a few minutes I could hear Earth him. So I spent several hours investing, swapping cables etc, then I put on cd2 of the same, guess what no earth hum. Then I switched back and hey there was the hum, yes you’ve guessed it, the earth hum is on the recording, by the way my back up cdp did not retrieve it, not good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    And you've taken into account the fact that I'm only driving AN J speakers? Hello.

Yes, I have taken that into account. It is not an accurate amp.
    Sources:
    Turntable - Rega P2 (Modified).
    Streamer - Cambridge Audio Azur 851N.
    Reel to Reel - Akai GX635D.
    NAS - Thecus N4200 Pro.

Amplification:
    Phono Pre - QUAD Twenty Four P.
    Pre Amp - QUAD QC - Twenty Four.
    Power Amps - 2 x QUAD 11 Forty mono blocks.
    Headphone Amp - QUAD PA - One.

Rack:
    Blok Stax 400 and Blok Stax 300

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    Exactly my approach.

It should be OK to try without the mains generator briefly, and can be done at non extreme levels.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast