+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm Mike.

And also stuff like the Rolling Stones, that's not so great with this set up too, which brings me back to my original premise Although I possibly/probably should have stated Audio Note Js, rather than valve amps. Was reading a similar thread over on Pink fish fainting ladies the other day about Living voice speakers, great with simple music, shit with everything else.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Dennis.

Yes I misstated my intention, not "punk era" but "Punk genre".

Dire Straits first, very good.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Although other music in the punk era still occurred, and some has good SQ. ie Dire straits first album.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    And also stuff like the Rolling Stones, that's not so great with this set up too, which brings me back to my original premise Although I possibly/probably should have stated Audio Note Js, rather than valve amps. Was reading a similar thread over on Pink fish fainting ladies the other day about Living voice speakers, great with simple music, shit with everything else.
    I have a number of Rolling Stones records and CDs and to be honest I would question the SQ or care put into some of them. Sine tracks sound great and then there can be quite thin and top ends, not sure why but I find some of what I have of theirs irritating to listen to, it’s not the musical content but the production/mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The original Decca recordings are very good. Some of the CD remasters are questionable and some of them are re-mixes.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The original Decca recordings are very good. Some of the CD remasters are questionable and some of them are re-mixes.
    The SACDs are all re-mixed and re-mastered, they sound good, they are hybrids so you don't need a SACD capable player. I tend to listen to the original CD releases though. More authentic.

The original recordings were not state of the art even for back then and SQ varies from song to song sometimes. But none of them sound 'nasty' or hard to listen to.

I'm talking Beggar's Banquet onwards here, I don't have any of their earlier albums.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Try some XTC or Comsat Angels albums��
    Like The Big Express or The Black Sea, both pretty good productions imv.

Or how about a nice 180gm pressing of Slaughter and the Dogs' "Cranked up Really High" Maybe not
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The SACDs are all re-mixed and re-mastered, they sound good, they are hybrids so you don't need a SACD capable player. I tend to listen to the original CD releases though. More authentic.

The original recordings were not state of the art even for back then and SQ varies from song to song sometimes. But none of them sound 'nasty' or hard to listen to.

I'm talking Beggar's Banquet onwards here, I don't have any of their earlier albums.
    I too prefer the original CD releases. The CD collection of their hits sound exactly like my 7" singles of the time.

Had the Decca engineers had their way the sound would have been very good: as good as that for Decca's classical recordings. But when the Stones were informed that they were playing too close to the microphones and too loudly, overloading them and distorting, they replied that was exactly what they wanted - a "dirty sound".
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

I've always found a lot the Stones albums to be quite severe in the treble whether CD or vinyl.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I have a number of Rolling Stones records and CDs and to be honest I would question the SQ or care put into some of them. Sine tracks sound great and then there can be quite thin and top ends, not sure why but I find some of what I have of theirs irritating to listen to, it’s not the musical content but the production/mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's nothing more disappointing than a poorly produced / mixed album and of course the reverse is true that when you get a well produced recording it makes you smile every time you put it on, what rubs my rhubarb with a poor sounding album is that someone has listened to it when being mastered and thought it was ok

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 58 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast