+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve amps, great with Jazz, shit with everything else.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Mike,
    This may sound a bit odd, but have you had your hearing tested properly recently ? I ask this because a reduction in high frequency can in some cases cause a similar iritation with certain frequencies, i have had a few elderly customers over the years, and one in paticular could not listen to digital at all for a very similar reason to what your experiencing, hence he only listend to vinyl, which for him was much more tolerable.
    Hope this helps.
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Model is J type B, serial number 223/224, so only about 200 in, quite early I'd guess, they are in lovely condition though.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Mike,
    This may sound a bit odd, but have you had your hearing tested properly recently ? I ask this because a reduction in high frequency can in some cases cause a similar iritation with certain frequencies, i have had a few elderly customers over the years, and one in paticular could not listen to digital at all for a very similar reason to what your experiencing, hence he only listend to vinyl, which for him was much more tolerable.
    Hope this helps.
    A...
    Sorry?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Dennis.

Actually that is a very good point from antonyD,

I was speaking to an audiologist friend yesterday about failing hearing, and he stated that as HF goes so appear problems lower down. I have lost a lot in the right ear above 5 to 6k, and now my right hand channel sounds screechy, but with the good ear it does not.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post

I was speaking to an audiologist friend yesterday about failing hearing, and he stated that as HF goes so appear problems lower down. I have lost a lot in the right ear above 5 to 6k, and now my right hand channel sounds screechy, but with the good ear it does not.
    That’s because around the frequency range you have lost, you still have some frequencies you hear, so tonally you only hear bits of it and thus it can be harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Indeed,
    And i wasnt refering to Mike being elderly, people suffer hearing loss at all ages, depending on the enviroment, and type of work they have done, etc, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post

"Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

I'm Martin.

can be genetically induced too.

Could be that some sort of hearing loss or damage has left Mike hyper sensitive to certain frequencies.

I still think it is more likely to be the equipment, stridency on some recordings is a trademark of fake hi-fi.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Again i agree!
    Hearing infections, sinus issues, etc, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    can be genetically induced too.

Could be that some sort of hearing loss or damage has left Mike hyper sensitive to certain frequencies.
    Nikola Tesla

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Again i agree!
    Hearing infections, sinus issues, etc, etc.
    I am very familiar with hearing impairment my mother suffered with Meniere's disease from when I was about 3, she gradually lost her hearing, and also suffered with tinitus as a result. She ended up with a 25% hearing in left ear and 30% in the right, and had to where hearing aids, because we are talking over 50 years ago the hearing aids were quite basic and just raised all frequencies, she hated being in restaurants as a result because all she could hear was cutlery and loud high pitched noises, she had lost most of her middle range frequencies. Mens voices that were lower were not too bad for her, but a normal woman voice was lost on her. Music became very irritating as a large amount was unheard, it was not until digital hearing aids came along and were tuned to her hearing did she cope better, but sadly towards the end of her life, but it was never great.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I am very familiar with hearing impairment my mother suffered with Meniere's disease from when I was about 3, she gradually lost her hearing, and also suffered with tinitus as a result. She ended up with a 25% hearing in left ear and 30% in the right, and had to where hearing aids, because we are talking over 50 years ago the hearing aids were quite basic and just raised all frequencies, she hated being in restaurants as a result because all she could hear was cutlery and loud high pitched noises, she had lost most of her middle range frequencies. Mens voices that were lower were not too bad for her, but a normal woman voice was lost on her. Music became very irritating as a large amount was unheard, it was not until digital hearing aids came along and were tuned to her hearing did she cope better, but sadly towards the end of her life, but it was never great.
    Nikola Tesla

I'm Mike.

Well, my girlfriend finds the high notes in jazz even more annoying than I do, so I think my hearings ok. Put my Chario syntars back in today, thought they were better initially but after a few hours playing jazz realised the high notes were still sharp, so I reckon no system will get rid of this problem in this listening room, so its either move flat or try room acoustic treatment. I've already moved the sofa away from the back wall by 2 ft which has helped with slight bass boom. Other than that the Js sound fine in corners, as they are meant to, in fact very little difference with positioning. I've had a few systems in this flat, Naim, Quad, Rega, the best one is the current one - with jazz anyway, I can;t comment on rock etc as my vinyl system hasn;t been set up for a while.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 58 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast