+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technics SL-P1200B, Ex BBC CD player

I'm Andrew.

Default Technics SL-P1200B, Ex BBC CD player

Been playing at being a BBC radio DJ with this beauty.
    Surprisingly in perfect working order too.
    Ex bbc radio .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Gorgeous thing!

Looks close to mint too?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Andrew.

A few fine marks on the top but apart from that it’s mint .

I'm Martin.

I've had 3 of them, the BBC one was the best. Still have one although it isn't a BBC version. But it will only play one album flawlessly, once it warms up it starts skipping.

I wonder if yours has had the buttons replaced as the BBC one had a sort of chrome finish on the play stop and pause buttons. It had actually been worn off on my one through the amount of use it had endured. But you can get all the replacement buttons. The one I have now has had them all replaced.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've had 3 of them, the BBC one was the best. Still have one although it isn't a BBC version. But it will only play one album flawlessly, once it warms up it starts skipping.

I wonder if yours has had the buttons replaced as the BBC one had a sort of chrome finish on the play stop and pause buttons. It had actually been worn off on my one through the amount of use it had endured. But you can get all the replacement buttons. The one I have now has had them all replaced.
    The owner was an ex bbc employee and had literally tons of bbc gear all in excellent condition.

I'm Martin.

I can see it is the broadcast one as it has the longer display, the standard ones have a shorter display, it doesn't go as far to the left, and instead the space is filled with a little circuit diagram showing how the Class AA thing works.

I loved my BBC one, it worked flawlessly for about 2 years after I got it. Superb sound, scary power and dynamics. Was well pissed off when it died.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

This is the best sounding player that I’ve had ( and weighs a lot for a cd player) I didn’t have much hope of it working perfectly given all that I had read but seeing the other equipment gave me the confidence to buy it .
    I will be flogging it but probably on the bay in order to squeeze what I can out of it .

I'm John.

Proper bit of kit there, very nice

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Proper bit of kit there, very nice
    Thanks, it is a little bit special.

I'm Frank.

Regarding your advert. To be fair, it's not really "incredibly rare". Although it all depends on how one regards the term "incredibly rare".

I'm afraid you're being rather optimistic with your asking price. The top model people go for is the SL-P990. And that goes for way below what you're hoping for. The Germans are keen on the 1200. But even they would be unwilling to fork out what you're asking. The last time I looked, I think £650 was the most a German seller was advertising one for. Don't know if it went for that.

Just be prepared to be disappointed if you're hoping to get anywhere near what you would like.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast