+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Male XLR plugs

I'm Kevin.

Default Male XLR plugs

I am needing to change the Aeco silver RCA plugs on one of my interconnects for some male XLR plugs.
    As it is a UP-OCC conductor, I am thinking of getting a plug with some silver plated pure copper connectors.
    My thoughts were with the ETI or Xhadow.

Has anybody used these?
    Any alternatives?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Personally I wouldn't dream of spending that sort of money on a connector. But the two you cite do look to be well made.

However I would question if a nickel barrier has been used or not between the copper and the silver plate. When silver is plated on copper a natural solid-state diffusion of the copper into the silver will occur over time. The rate of diffusion is accelerated greatly at elevated temperatures. As copper diffuses into silver it forms a hybrid copper/silver eutectic layer which negatively affects adhesion, solderability and electrical performance. Nickel forms an effective diffusion barrier to prevent this copper/silver migration from occurring.
    Barry

I'm bob.

As the RCA plug will have two conductors, are you adding a third , or what is the point?

I have used inters with Xhadow XLR, fitted by somebody else, and they worked well. I really liked the fact that the plugs are quite short when compared with some XLRs.

The Xhadows can be fitted with a screwdriver, but be very, very careful not to overtighten or the threads may strip.

I'm Kevin.

The point is that the amplifiers have XLR sockets, and my RCA plugs don’t fit.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread