+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neurochrome power amp

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
    It’s a real beast mate
    Don't mean to trash this thread Karl, but I notice you are running a pair of Mono 7R's....Is the 686 replacing them? I'll rephrase, is the 686 superior/better/trashes the 7r's?

Ps. your 686 looks the dogs b*******!

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post
    Don't mean to trash this thread Karl, but I notice you are running a pair of Mono 7R's....Is the 686 replacing them? I'll rephrase, is the 686 superior/better/trashes the 7r's?

Thanks mate . Yes I bought it to replace the monos. The specs alone are in another league

It definitely has more fine details and transparency but has a smaller soundstage but I think that’s a valve vs solid state thing. Having all those watts really does grip the speakers by the gonads too , but as you know aswell, the performance jumps at this level get smaller and smaller as you move up the ladder . They are both fine amps, both different but ultimately the 686 is better yes.

The 686 is basically invisible and doesn’t have a ‘sound’ like the Croft amps do. It will give you a pure neutral signal that’s true to the recording .

There is definitely an improvement but I think what the 686 has done now is highlight that my 25R preamp is the weak link in my system . Once I get something better sorted I will be able to hear the 686 full potential .

That will come soon. I have already put the plans in motion to get one built using top spec parts . I was considering sending the 25R off to Glenn for the RSLS treatment but it’s 1500 quid to do that which seems excessive for what it is . The parts for my new preamp were half of that so when I move the 25R on I will break even , but have a better measuring and performing preamp and a more neutral setup .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Don.

Default Reply

Karl, thanks for your honest appraisal...you do know what you have done now....?

First it was the Radford 25's, then any Tannoy HPD's, a few Exposure's and now the 686's...AOS is the definitive market mover!
    Watch the 686 movement grow within AOS!

All the best

I'm Ian.

Moving from an 86/286 to a 686 is the way

I'm Karl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ian View Post
    Moving from an 86/286 to a 686 is the way
    Haha it most definitely is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CTC Classic 301 , SPH bearing and Hanze Hifi HAT CPS-2 all analogue power supply / Tenuto Mk2 mat / custom Panzerholz and Kewasinga articulating plinth / Track audio isolation feet / Reed tonearm / Audio Technica ART 9 / 2 box BigBottle mk3 phonostage with Clarity cap CMR and NOS Telefunkens valves / Croft 25R preamp with upgraded 12BH7A line stage and NOS 1956 RCA valves / Croft 7R monoblocks with NOS 56 RCA valves/ Dynaudio Contour 30i speakers / Spotfire interconnects and speaker cables / Merlin Scorpion mains block / Rhodium mains cables / Marantz CD DAC /

I'm Ian.

Still looking, could go to 1700 for dual mono 868 with soft start and speaker protection

I'm Phil.

i am surprised AD audio`s one has not sold yet

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...rand-New-Build
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by donmarrese View Post

thats a very good question , i saw some lovely croft monos recently . i am thinking they might match my horns but cant do it yet as funds depleted severely [ like many others !!}
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm charles.

My heavyweight Mark Levinson 27.5 blew up spectacularly so I swapped in my all-time favourite the ML23.5 but this now had a bad hum so I returned both to their boxes and despondently shoved them back into the spare room. With pressing house repairs I decided to find some amplifier just to tide me over. I eventually settled on a Neurochrome 286 and I'm impressed and relieved. The Mark Levinson problem was bugging me and now I find I don't even think about them anymore!

I needed something that would not use up too much of my time and glad I found this kit. I had an old chassis and it did not need much effort to assemble. It is the quietest amp I have ever had and can confidently recommend a Neurochrome kit.

I'm Ian.

I was tempted but its well outside my budget and getting down to London to collect is a challenge. Covid risk looks to be cancelling my month in the islands and Highlands which might free up some time to research 686 build, think i can stretch to £2k

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast