+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Follow up from my original "Speaker Query" post

I'm DAVID.

Default Follow up from my original "Speaker Query" post

This post will no doubt lead on to further questions which I'm bound to ask later but for now I'll try to keep this brief.
    After the fantastic help I received on here on using the Tannoy speakers I acquired via our TV we decided that because there was nowhere to position the Tannoy's whilst keeping our present living room furniture we would look to having a major change around in order to be able to keep & use the Tannoys.
    This would mean disposing of a large three seater setee, moving armchairs around, hanging the TV on the wall and looking for a piece of furniture which could house equipment and fit in and look good with the speakers.
    With all this in mind I've been keeping an eye open on the local auctions for something that might fit the bill.
    Recently we came across something that we thought may well work well ..... Although the pictures on the auction site were very poor it peaked our interest being described as -
    "A George III Commode converted to house HiFi equipment together with four speakers" Estimate £100 - £150.
    I e-mailed the auction house asking for better pictures and a condition report but all I got back was "Good working condition. No amplifier with this lot". No extra pictures were sent so I had to try to figure out what I could see from the blurry pictures!
    From what I could make out it looked like it would be a bargain if it went on or near estimate so I decided to bid on it when the lot came up.
    Being a local auction house but also having online bidding it very quickly became apparent that several people were VERY interested in this also and the estimate was swiftly exceeded by some way! However I figured that with that much interest I'd hang in there as herself had taken a real liking to the item as a piece of furniture.
    In the end I won it ..... I won't say for how much but it was a lot more than I'd have preferred!
    Having got the thing home I've been trying to make a list of the contents and how I might possibly use them. I'll add some pictures and possible thoughts on what I can/might do with it in a follow up post but for now I'll just list whats sitting in the commode and maybe someone could come and kick me if I've bought a pile of rubbish!

So apart from the Commode itself inside is the following as far as I can make out from checking on the internet -
    2 x B&W 600i series speakers
    2 x Wharfdale Dovedale 3(?) speakers
    1 x Akai GX-R66 Tape player
    1 x Quad FM3 Tuner
    1 x Quad 33 Pre-amp
    1 x Quad 303 Power Amp (Told by the auction house there was no Amp but it was fitted in the back behind the other Pre-Amp & Tuner)
    1 x STD 305D Turntable (From what I can make out this might have been why there was so much bidding interest?)
    1 x SME 3009 Turntable arm
    1 x Pickering XV-15/625E Cartridge

Any thought's/ideas ..... Apart from the Commode itself should I keep any of it to use with the TV/Tannoys or think about selling it on. All my LP's/records went several years ago so I don't really have a need for the turntable unless convinced to keep it?

I'm Martin.

Not a bad haul there, there's no rubbish. Everything there has some value, even the tape deck.

I'd keep the 303 power amp and get a passive pre-amp to use with it. You might like that better than the NAD (it should be better). Sell the 33 pre-amp.

If you will get any use out of a tape deck, tuner and record deck keep all of them. They're all good.

The Dovedales are worth about a ton assuming they are working fine and in good cosmetic condition. The B&W maybe fifty quid.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I agree with Martin,

I don't know what you paid for the 'Commode', but each of the Quad items would fetch ~ £100 apiece, and the turntable and arm a lot more.

As Martin has said: "nice haul".
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Hi Dave Welcome to AOS.

So your commode is no longer 'bog' standard?

Yeah, keep the Quad 303, it's a well liked Classic. The STD + SME are well worth using and should suit the Pickering. I'd also hang onto the Dovedale III speakers, they're not the last word in refinement, but they are a lot of fun!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Nice haul Dave, you "flushed" out a bit of a bargain. Traditionally commodes were just full of shit. Do items like this come up regularly, or was it a flash in the pan?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm DAVID.

A few pictures of the crap that came with the commode

Now I've run power to it the turntable has a digital speed read out window showing the exact turntable rpm. Apart from the regular 33/45/78 settings there's an additional feature which allows manual adjustment to set the exact rpm required between each rpm setting ie. If you want to run at 35rpm you can easily adjust it, all clever stuff.

2 x B&W 600i series speakers
    2 x Wharfdale Dovedale 3(?) speakers
    1 x Akai GX-R66 Tape player
    1 x Quad FM3 Tuner
    1 x Quad 33 Pre-amp
    1 x Quad 303 Power Amp (Told by the auction house there was no Amp but it was fitted in the back behind the other Pre-Amp & Tuner)
    1 x STD 305D Turntable (From what I can make out this might have been why there was so much bidding interest?)
    1 x SME 3009 Turntable arm
    1 x Pickering XV-15/625E Cartridge

20200725_132105.jpg20200725_132311.jpg20200725_132504.jpg20200725_132620.jpg20200725_132657.jpg

I'm Dennis.

Unless the Quad three are better than what you have, I would sell them as a trio after cleaning them up, their sound is a bit dated, and the 303 produces bloated bass..

I'm DAVID.

Ok, so after trying to digest the replies and rummaging around the ether until my head hurts I have a couple of "What if" questions.
    Please bare in mind that this is all new to me so any questions may be based on my stupidity
    All I really want to achieve (for now) is to run the TV through the Tannoy speakers I have and with the help of forum members I managed to set this up temporarily & very successfully via TV - DAC - NAD 3020 - Tannoys.
    When I move all the furniture around and put the commode in position I'd like to end up with the same ie TV out through the speakers which brings me to the (probably) stupid questions.

1) "IF" I decided to keep the commode contents could I connect my DAC directly into the Quad 33 Pre-amp as opposed to into the Nad 3020?
    2) Would it alternatively be possible (or beneficial?) to use the NAD as a pre-amp instead of the Quad 33 then feed into the Quad 303?
    3) Would it be better to do away with the Quad 33 & 303 and stick with using the NAD?
    4) Would it be better to do away with the Quad 33 & look for/add a passive(?) pre-amp?

All suggestions/idea's gratefully received!
    No doubt other question will arise later .....

I'm Grant.

initially i'd try the quad stuff with the dac.. dac line out to quad pre line in... the nad, if i remember, doesnt have an option for using it as a pre(i could be wrong tho) so if thats case then that is out. passive pre will depend on gain structure. the 303 's can be good power amps. the pre 33 is the weak part, or can be.... but it looks great and i'd be inclined to try the whole thing and if its good, then use it.
    does the nad not have digital inputs? if so then you could use its dac instead of the one your using(if thats what your doing)
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

1, Probably work OK.
    2, Should be OK and may sound better, Worth trying.
    3, Not necessarily, both 303 and NAD are worthy items. (the Quad is an appreciating Classic, the NAD is not quite as desirable yet, but sounds as good in its own way)
    3, I'd say so, but using the NAD as a pre-amp may sound even better, as mentioned.

(the above, assuming your version of the NAD has pre-amp out sockets, not all did)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast