+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yamaha P1600 power amp

I'm Lawrence.

Default Yamaha P1600 power amp

Very nice sounding 160wpc power amp. It's a studio workhorse design. Had it for years but hardly used in my second system.

It uses Yamaha's EEEngine technology, efficient like class D but cleaner sounding and more involving than some expensive Ice Power amps I had. It also has a damping factor of 200 so really grips speakers, in fact the bass can sound a bit weak if you're used to loose flabby bass, but it's just really tight. I've found it helps control bass in difficult rooms too.

It's got quite a few scratches on the top and no feet (that's how they come, well not the scratches ). I've put pads on the bottom but some cheap cones could easily be stuck on and improve the (already very good) sound further. It doesn't look bad from the front but see what you think.

It takes XLR (or jack) line in and has standard speaker outs for bananas, spades or cables. I can chuck in some RCA adaptors if you need them.

The plug has been removed and a female IEC socket added to the end of the cable for your cable of choice. I planned to cut the cable right back and replace the IEC socket just outside the case but never got round to it.

It also has attenuator dials on the front and I found turning it down a few notches from full changes the character a bit and makes it slightly less revealing - a handy tweak that actually works very well on digital sources.

A bargain for £80 collected from near Durham, to reflect the condition.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Just set this up instead of the Opera valve amp, it's really (perhaps surprisingly) very good.

I'm Lawrence.

Withdrawn for a while

I'm Alan.

I had a listen to this yesterday...Lawrence used it to dem the Bastanis Dragonflys for me, before I bought them from him...It is a wonderful power amp, really musical..and just works a treat...Real nice guy to deal with too..cheerz Lawrence..
    'ANDSOME IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER. Barney Milne

Cambridge Audio CXN, Seagate nas drive, Michell Gyrodec SE, SME309, Benz M2 Ruby cantilever, Denon DL103, Primare R32, Densen D20, Densen D30, Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated, Pioneer SX-N30AE Network Stereo Receiver, Roksan Darius speakers, Technics speakers, Canon speakers, Bastanis Dragonfly Horns, REL Storm III sub, Target R1 speaker stands, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks Alan yes it's not quite as sweet as my now sold valve amp but it just gets on with making music without any fuss. It sounds good with the Tisbury I'm currently using.

I'm Andrew.

Bloody-hell!!! I don't need another power amp but I'd snap that beauty up straight away, the grab handles are worth £80 alone!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Thanks Alan yes it's not quite as sweet as my now sold valve amp but it just gets on with making music without any fuss. It sounds good with the Tisbury I'm currently using.

I also heard this amp last Sunday when I prised the valve amp from Lawrence’s grasp and agree with others’ comments.

+ Reply to Thread