+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capacitors for crossover B&O 5702

I'm Nick.

Default Capacitors for crossover B&O 5702

Hi all

I’m going to replace the caps in my 5702’s going to keep the tropical fish caps in but I need some help.

I am going to replace the electrolytic caps,

I’m in need of,

75 uf
    20 uf
    8 uf

Any recommendations for brand / supplier. I don’t want to spend a huge amount on them and space is a little limited on the board.

After this going to do the same with the Ditton 44’s would the same brand work for those too?

Also will this improve the bass, seems to be lacking a little.

Thanks

Nick
    Last edited by Nickkip; 24-07-2020 at 09:14.

I'm Adam.

Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Nick.

Hi thanks for the reply, just had a look they don’t do the caps in the valves I need they do a 22uf and a 8.2uf and nothing close to 75uf would love to get the same values if possible, also need a 8.2 o resistor. I’m not sure how many wats it is any one have any idea?

Thanks

Nick

I'm openingabottleofwine.

To get close to 75uF, use a parallel combination of 68uF with 6.8uF.
    Barry

I'm Nick.

Thank you for the reply Barry. Those values even being slightly out will this affect the performance of the speakers? im worried about the tweeters Celestion HF2000 they are known to blow will they be ok, sorry to ask so many questions, i have a basic understanding of electronic engineering did it for A level but that was like 15 years ago so almost all has been forgotten, i more fixed electronic devices were was more about replace and repair not needing to think about the same variables as you do with speakers, this is all very new to me. But i do find it interesting.

Thank you for the help!

I'm Geoff.

You could check out Alcap electrolytic capacitors from Cricklewood Electronics on ebay. They work and sound fine, without costing the earth. I use them myself.

You shouldn't find the bass inadequate with the 5702's. Could be a room acoustics or placement issue.

The HF2000's can be fragile, but they'll go to useful levels, just don't go mad with the volume control. They should be less vulnerable in the B&O's, as I think the crossover point is higher than the Ditton 44's if I recall.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nick.

Hi thanks for the reply.

So if i go for
    8.2 uf
    22uf
    68 + 6.8 uf

i was looking at Mundorf ECap AC PLAIN electrolytic capacitor for full set of those values its £31 that is not bad at all think they will be ok?

i also looked at those Alcap brand too
    Alcap 8.00uF 50VDC Electrolytic Capacitor
    Alcap 20.00uF Low Loss 50VDC Electrolytic Capacitor
    Alcap 60.00uF High Power 100VDC Electrolytic Capacitor+ Alcap 12.00uF Low Loss 50VDC Electrolytic Capacitor

or

Alcap 50.00uF High Power 100VDC Electrolytic Capacitor + Alcap 25.00uF High Power 100VDC Electrolytic Capacitor

comes to £22 again not bad at all.

That will work fine?
    Thanks

Nick
    Last edited by Nickkip; 25-07-2020 at 09:32.

I'm Nick.

Another quick question

The dust caps have gone on the Philips AD1056/W8, will this affect the sound of them, also how would i go about replacing?

5702.jpg

I'm Lawrence.

No but it might risk getting particles in the voice coil gap and rubbing. I'm sure Falcon, Wilmslow or one of the EU companies that sell speaker surrounds will supply them if you measure the diameter (correctly!)

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickkip View Post
    Thank you for the reply Barry. Those values even being slightly out will this affect the performance of the speakers? im worried about the tweeters Celestion HF2000 they are known to blow will they be ok, sorry to ask so many questions, i have a basic understanding of electronic engineering did it for A level but that was like 15 years ago so almost all has been forgotten, i more fixed electronic devices were was more about replace and repair not needing to think about the same variables as you do with speakers, this is all very new to me. But i do find it interesting.

Thank you for the help!
    Since most capacitors have a tolerance on their value of at least +/- 5% (usually a lot more), I wouldn't worry about the 0.25% 'shortfall' of a parallel combination of 68uF with 6.8uF (= 74.8uF) to replace the 75uF capacitor.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast