+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Connecting a spare length of interconnect connected only at ground, from a spare RCA socket running to an (Earth connected only) plug hooked up to the wall can sound better too.
    Equipment dependant as per usual.

Similar thinking?
    Someone here tried exactly that, and found (to their ears at least) it made no difference.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Someone here tried exactly that, and found (to their ears at least) it made no difference.
    Yes. Somebody was going on about this a year or two back, so a made a lead to try it. As expected, it had no audible effect.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. Somebody was going on about this a year or two back, so made a lead to try it. As expected, it had no audible effect.
    I didn't want to 'name names'.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Well Dennis why do you try that you may find illuminating.

You see this why forums are both delightful and full of people seeking entertainment outside the mundane lives full internet warriors won a mission to Mars via a vespa, spoiling for a fight

Your eduction is not incorrect just my typing skills and size of my hands are shall we say are not up to par today.

For the correct actual measured unit you are looking for is dBuA decibel micro amps for which I can only apologise for my typo and Sunday afternoon litter tray surfing.

Let is look at how this is arrived at first of all we take the transfer impedance at a given frequency we are looking at say 30Mhz (top of the Cisper 14 standard) the transfer impedance at this point would 18.09 which you would subtract from the given reading on your instrument which would in dBuV this would then deliver the correct value in dBuA

one observation I would like to make at least three of the devices tested have zero foils or connecting wires / cat littler or vampire poo inside.

Like cables this subject will cause division across the the great audio divide please do get on with the slanging match but jumping on people is very rude let them speak, then have your say cat piss try not withstanding
    I haven't intended any 'slanging', but I was a bit surprised at the current/voltage mistake.

My education is not as up to date as many here, and so I am not familiar with many newer standards. But, I think my circuit theory is adequate and in tact.

I cannot really see how such a box can have any beneficial effect, given the equivalent cct. Any desire to receive RF would be better fulfilled if the device were not on the ground surely?

I didn't really connect a cable to the cat's litter box, just find the whole thing amusing. But if I heard a difference DB, what then.
    It may be like the mysterious effect from my Nelson-Jones class A 10 +10 which produced a weirdly increased sense of 'air', and which someone said was TIM.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Connecting a spare length of interconnect connected only at ground, from a spare RCA socket running to an (Earth connected only) plug hooked up to the wall can sound better too.
    Equipment dependant as per usual.

Similar thinking?
    I'd like to witness that.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Maybe we should all go back to the days where all your hi-fi was in one nicely presented[ or not, depending on taste ] piece of furniture, where all the individual parts ie; Turntable,Tuner, and tape, whether 8 track or the new fangled Casette, were all on the same short ground or 0V, where there was lesser chance of these harmful frequencies [brought about by the use of seperates, joined together by fancy interconnects, and mains leads, cobbling everything together all at an average of 1mtr apart] to impede on our listening enjoyment of the latest trending artist of the day, yes, lets bring back,,,the Radiogram/Stereogram!
    A...
    That does raise the question of why studios don't seem to even observe such problems or 'solutions', and they often have many exposed leads on patch bays.

I'm Andrew.

Interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgqYdq0VgKg however, he doesn't really nail his colours to the mast one way or another. Frustrating !
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dennis.

Trying to cancel waveforms at high frequencies presents massive problems with phasing because distances are so small, and even with one known waveform it would need fine tuning. But with wideband, attempts at it seem impossible to me.

I'm Jeremy.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post
    Be interesting to hear a bit more of your take on it Jeremy
    I've posted a bit, but please ask any questions.

My basic premise is that if you like them use them, just don't try to fight the facts about what they are.

In audio why is everyone so obsessed with validating their hearing preference? Why isn't ok to just say, "I like it" ?

That is more or less what Andrew wrote in post 11.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast