+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    Lol oddly enough I do for at least 30 hours a week my lab is very well shielded.

Here is a very odd but strangely true scenario, earlier this year I was working on a new pre amplifier design and was finishing off its ac line filtration circuit during pre compliance testing. The previous week I had just upgrade the labs mains power circuits and lighting to LED's so feeling pleased with my efforts I set up the equipment for the EC stands required Cisper 16. Now for this you need a isolation transformer for the DUT and the ground plane.

After around 30m minutes of testing I was getting so real spurious readings really struggled to get my head around them. I ended up tearing down the set up and taking to measuring the individual instruments themselves just to try and eliminate the blasted common mode noise.

Turn out to be a rather expensive bench power supply causing a heap of CMN, no here is the strange thing, even with the unit connected via an isolation (which lifts the earth) transformer the noise was still present. So even after switching the unit off at the power switch the noise is still present???

Ok must be me going somewhat mad, so I took out the mains plug from the bench psu guess what STILL there

Now the scopes and analysers are power by one side of the mains circuit, the other power supplies, iso transformers dc loads and ac power supplies are powered by the other side of the CU.

Now one of the new LED lights is an overhead bench unit for intricate work it has a delightful SMPS though it is one the scope side of the mains, well taking this out of the socket removed all of the noise from the dc power supply even with the unit UNPLUGGED.

This is an example of radiated RF in the real world and the switching frequncy 67Khz you really could not make this up, you do need ot be on your toes when taking low level measurements.

A poxy SMPS caused almost a days worth of testing time loss, project completion time -1 day experience gained invaluable
    Interesting, is this not the basis of one of Tesla’s key power transmission experiments, but I might be confusing it with another phenomenon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dennis.

I recently did some reading online on RF fields, my concern being with mobile phone relay masts, of which there are about ten on a block of flats 30 metres from my home.

My concern is with the profusity of equipment generating RF, each adding to the hash, and more specifically the effects of constructive interference. (Addition of peaks in the waveforms). This will inevitably happen because there are so many different frequencies being transmitted,; there are people who line their bedrooms in metal sheeting.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

I have similar experience in my new [relatively] workshop, with All LED lighting, the bloody things are so noisey, the one i have above my bench is paticularly problematic when testing high gain Audio circuits, i have to turn it off, which pretty much negates the whole reason of having a nice bright light over the area your working in! I usualy have to resort to using a conventional bulb set up in some cases.
    Lol oddly enough I do for at least 30 hours a week my lab is very well shielded.

Here is a very odd but strangely true scenario, earlier this year I was working on a new pre amplifier design and was finishing off its ac line filtration circuit during pre compliance testing. The previous week I had just upgrade the labs mains power circuits and lighting to LED's so feeling pleased with my efforts I set up the equipment for the EC stands required Cisper 16. Now for this you need a isolation transformer for the DUT and the ground plane.

After around 30m minutes of testing I was getting so real spurious readings really struggled to get my head around them. I ended up tearing down the set up and taking to measuring the individual instruments themselves just to try and eliminate the blasted common mode noise.

Turn out to be a rather expensive bench power supply causing a heap of CMN, no here is the strange thing, even with the unit connected via an isolation (which lifts the earth) transformer the noise was still present. So even after switching the unit off at the power switch the noise is still present???

Ok must be me going somewhat mad, so I took out the mains plug from the bench psu guess what STILL there

Now the scopes and analysers are power by one side of the mains circuit, the other power supplies, iso transformers dc loads and ac power supplies are powered by the other side of the CU.

Now one of the new LED lights is an overhead bench unit for intricate work it has a delightful SMPS though it is one the scope side of the mains, well taking this out of the socket removed all of the noise from the dc power supply even with the unit UNPLUGGED.

This is an example of radiated RF in the real world and the switching frequncy 67Khz you really could not make this up, you do need ot be on your toes when taking low level measurements.

A poxy SMPS caused almost a days worth of testing time loss, project completion time -1 day experience gained invaluable
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Tony.

Anthony

Thinking back I have had a couple of occasions like this, hindsight a wonderful thing!
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

Indeed!
    Anthony
    hindsight a wonderful thing!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I recently did some reading online on RF fields, my concern being with mobile phone relay masts, of which there are about ten on a block of flats 30 metres from my home.

My concern is with the profusity of equipment generating RF, each adding to the hash, and more specifically the effects of constructive interference. (Addition of peaks in the waveforms). This will inevitably happen because there are so many different frequencies being transmitted,; there are people who line their bedrooms in metal sheeting.
    Best thing to line with is pre-nuclear lead, cuts background radiation as well.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Dennis.

Lead wallpaper rolls?

Lead wallpaper rolls?
    Nikola Tesla

I'm Grant.

love survivalists..

here is the "wrong rec room" scene from tremors

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Lead wallpaper rolls?
    Not tried that yet. Got lead toilet paper though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast