+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyTD View Post

I have often said; that every perceived, and therefore repeatable diffrence heard in audio replay, from whatever the cause, can be tested for, if you know where to look, and how to test it, i think we are starting to undertand that not all that glitters is gold, hence there is a need to look elsewhere to find the reason why some things not currently understood, can cause the affects we can clearly hear.
    A...
    First of all you have to establish beyond reasonable doubt that we can 'clearly hear them'. That doesn't seem to have been done yet with regard to these boxes.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    First of all you have to establish beyond reasonable doubt that we can 'clearly hear them'.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Jeremy.

First of all you have to establish beyond reasonable doubt that we can 'clearly hear them'. That doesn't seem to have been done yet with regard to these boxes.
    I'm adamant about the reality of the devices being antenna... but I would never deny you can hear the effect. Your asking the question in such a way you'd want proof you can hear it to then investigate an objective improvement (that you won't find). What's the point?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    I'm adamant about the reality of the devices being antenna... but I would never deny you can hear the effect. Your asking the question in such a way you'd want proof you can hear it to then investigate an objective improvement (that you won't find). What's the point?
    because it seems to me that there's no point in trying to determine what causes the effect until it's been established that there is an effect to begin with.

I believe it has been shown that the Entreq box, or rather the cable that attaches it, can act as an antennae and pick up RF. But it's a jump to say that RF has any discernible effect on what we hear coming out of the speakers or headphones.

The logical approach, it seems to me, would be to test if people can actually hear a difference, and once that's been established beyond reasonable doubt, then proceed with trying to work out why.

there's no point spending money on the device unless it does something that is actually audible, regardless of what it is that it does. It may have properties that can be measured, but are still not audible, just like any other item of hi-fi equipment.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Gary.

If someone get the chance to hear one first without putting any readies down, and they think its an improvement, why shouldn't they buy one?
    Theory be damned if someone thinks it sounds better to them, go for it.

No need for a feasibility study?

NOT to be bought without hearing though I'd say!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Adrian.

because it seems to me that there's no point in trying to determine what causes the effect until it's been established that there is an effect to begin with.

I believe it has been shown that the Entreq box, or rather the cable that attaches it, can act as an antennae and pick up RF. But it's a jump to say that RF has any discernible effect on what we hear coming out of the speakers or headphones.

The logical approach, it seems to me, would be to test if people can actually hear a difference, and once that's been established beyond reasonable doubt, then proceed with trying to work out why.

there's no point spending money on the device unless it does something that is actually audible, regardless of what it is that it does. It may have properties that can be measured, but are still not audible, just like any other item of hi-fi equipment.
    I tend to agree with you Martin, I remember there was a similar very long thread on the same subject about grounding boxes which divided people greatly. I was going to use a wine box and make one up myself with said crystals etc, and various ferro-magnetic materials, I have a list somewheres, and try it out to see if there was any improvement, or even deterioration for that matter. I had forgotten all about doing it until this thread.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    If someone get the chance to hear one first without putting any readies down, and they think its an improvement, why shouldn't they buy one?
    Theory be damned if someone thinks it sounds better to them, go for it.

No need for a feasibility study?

NOT to be bought without hearing though I'd say!
    Yes, if it's a big difference I'd agree. But if it is a subtle difference, something nebulous like 'wider soundstage' I'd still be cautious that the effect was not psychological. If it is psychological you'll find out down the line, after you spent the money, because it won't be a persistent effect. You'll unplug the contraption one day and realise that nothing has changed.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jeremy.

Yes, if it's a big difference I'd agree. But if it is a subtle difference, something nebulous like 'wider soundstage' I'd still be cautious that the effect was not psychological. If it is psychological you'll find out down the line, after you spent the money, because it won't be a persistent effect. You'll unplug the contraption one day and realise that nothing has changed.
    I know many people who lived with them after buying a bunch of them and accumulating as many as they could use, then one day removing all of them after building up their army. When they removed them all at once to verify claims against them they liked the sound better and didn't put them back in!

I'm Gary.

Oh aye, absolutely.
    There's definitely a Psychological aspect to this, all I'm saying is there's no hard and fast single rule for whether it "works".

A lot of variables, and human perception is sure one of them.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Gordon.

You'll unplug the contraption one day and realise that nothing has changed.
    A very valid point IMHO.
    So many times (especially with cables), I have borrowed kit that doesn't sound as if it is offering much of an improvement . . . until such time (after keeping it for a day or three) I unplug it and reverse the system to my original component(s), only to discover that it doesn't sound as good as it did before I reverted it!!
    An excellent way to realise the level of appreciation you can discover with different equipment.
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast