+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HI-FI Ring main . Advice sought

I'm Martin.

Default HI-FI Ring main . Advice sought

I will shortly be downsizing and wish to install a dedicated Audio ring main.
    I plan on installing a smaller consumer unit in parallel to the existing one and 4mm ring main cabling to the socket(s)
    What do you recommend re make/type and what sort of cable? So far I have been advised Lapp or Tintanex.
    What are your thoughts on wiring up 4 double sockets?
    Advice on costs would also be appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Ian.

Good question Martin. I can't answer your queries but look forward to seeing some suggestions.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hello Martin,

About five years ago, whilst replacing the carpet in my living/listening room, I took the opportunity to have a dedicated ring main installed for my audio system

It is a ring main as opposed to a radial system, comprising 12 double sockets (I use mains-energised electrostatic speakers, as well as needing several sockets for the electronics and sources), and is protected by a Hager 32A RCBO. This is separate to the consumer unit that covers the rest of the house wiring, and is connected to the meter via Henley block.

The cable used was conventional 2.5mm2 twin and earth. There is no need, IMO, to use cable of a larger CSA, and I doubt if a qualified electrician would be willing to use Lapp or any other 'fancy' cable, as that could invalidate the Certificate issued for permanent installations. (The source impedance of my audio ring, wired with 2.5mm2 cable and measured at one of the sockets is 0.25 Ohm. This is low compared to the expected IEC figure of 0.4 Ohm.)

Hope that helps
    Barry
    Barry

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

About 12 years ago whilst building my listening room we took advantage of the disruption and as well as the extension of the normal ring main circuits in my home for the lighting and sockets to the extension, we also added a separate circuit dedicated to a bank of 6 MK sockets specifically for the Hi Fi. The cabling if I remember correctly was the same as you would use on an electric cooker so fairly large cross sectional area.

I had it done because I could and the disruption was already there during the building work. While I have not done a direct comparison between the dedicated supply and the "normal" ring main, I can't honestly say the dedicated supply has not improved sound quality by any real significance.

Would I do a dedicated supply again, probably not but at the time it added very little to the overall costs of the job. The biggest advantage I have found is because it's dedicated you do not get any interference from fridges or freezers switching on and off etc.

Hope that is of some help.
    Last edited by Andy831; 24-07-2020 at 13:43.
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks
    Speakers
    Tannoy GRF Memory.
    Tannoy ST100.

I'm Laurie.

I had a radial ext fitted by a certified electrician (fully pat tasted, with safety cert, as is rental property, and to pass insurance requirements) from a Separate fused mk box using jps in wall cable To a bank of schuko sockets in front room. Mega improvement. The jps is not that pricey, £20m, and is massively built and specked . Lucky also that local mains is very quiet.
    If had space and cash I would get battery supply installed. Expensive but no more than some purifiers or high end cords.
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm Mike.

If you can - go for a separate customer unit and 6mm twin and earth to sockets for the system only.
    There and back, not a ring which I have

I'd like to change mine but the upheaval has been banned by the Boss
    Last edited by MikeMusic; 03-08-2020 at 15:55. Reason: correction
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread