+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do I start\upgrade online streamer

I'm Laurie.

Default Where do I start\upgrade online streamer

I stream via BT`Router ,Ethernet out wired to dac , where can I tweak upgrade. Not a area of hifi I’m used to. Thanks
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    I stream via BT`Router ,Ethernet out wired to dac , where can I tweak upgrade. Not a area of hifi I’m used to. Thanks
    My understanding is that "Owners of the original Nyquist can field-upgrade to Mk II standard by simply exchanging modules", that is if yours is the mk1. Having said that from what I see your Streaming DAC is right up there in the SQ front anyway. see https://www.brinkmann-audio.de/main....yquist&lang=en

If you are referring to the BT Router and cable specifically, then I think you could source a high end commercial adsl/switch/router, but this would require you to configure it as required by the provider. You would need to check that your provider (I presume BT) allows non proprietary ADSL routers to connect to their services. With respect to the Ethernet cable then go for a high grade CAT6 or CAT7.

Personally I am not sure you would actually hear any difference if you went to this extreme.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Laurie.

Thanks, nyquist is mark ii, have got some mycorde Ethernet cable cable and gave it a clean power feed which has helped was curious about router switch stuff, someone posed same question to me.
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm Andrew.

If you are at all worried that the BT Router is going to be a cause of additional noise on your network (which is very unlikely) then you can fit a cheap 8 port digital switch whihc will connect to your router using a single port input from the Wan output of your router then your network can be connected to the switch . This will seperate the network and prevent noise . There are of course as is always the case audiophile versions of these switches which can cost anyhting up to £2000 but they are not really needed . A sensible £30 units from Netgear or similar will be perfect . In my experience which is not huge there was no change at all in sound quality (and I was not expecting this) but the solidity and consistency of my network was improved which was what i was looking for .

I'm Laurie.

I’m told the Bt router is one of better ones, I will prob change wallwart p/s for something by ifi, I was asked by friend about switches, curious as found tidal masters stream noisy and screechy, tbh internet radio better. Was going to try something by Cisco or similar.
    Ta for advice, I’m a digital tourist (not a native) so on a steep learning curve.

I'm Edward.

I found using a SOTM ethernet cable with the inline filter block just before my streamer gave a useful increase in 'naturalness'. This without loss of detail or transparency. YMMV of course.

§
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Peter.

I recently went down a digital path for the first time. Interestingly I also have a Vitus/Boenicke combo. I found the following improved the sound:
    - installing a cheap ebay-sourced Cisco switch connected to the router The network bridge connects to the switch.
    - improving the power supply to the network bridge (I have a separate network bridge feeding a separate dac)
    - upgrading Ethernet cable between router and switch, and between switch and network bridge, from cat 5 to cat 8.
    - adding an external clock to the network bridge
    - improving the USB cable connecting the bridge to the DAC. You won’t have this if your dac is also a bridge.

After reading your other post I will next buy the ifi power supply you recommended for the router.

I'm Ray.

I don't think the BT router is that good but better ones are about £180. Mine works ok now since I had BT engineer fix the cabling to my house. Sound quality has not changed. You could try the iFi power supply, I would get one that you can return if it has no benefit. Tidal sounds fine and so does Deezer, Qobuz and Amazon.

Have you tried Qobuz?

Not convinced about ethernet cables, have you seen the cables that bring the signal into your house?
    Last edited by StingRay; 07-09-2020 at 12:29.

I'm Laurie.

Has anyone noticed that qubuz and tidal sound different. Qubuz clearer, ie less distortion, tidal more musical. This at standard quality, not hi res.
    Bits are not just bits?

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    Has anyone noticed that qubuz and tidal sound different. Qubuz clearer, ie less distortion, tidal more musical. This at standard quality, not hi res.
    Bits are not just bits?
    No I did not but I did not have them at the same time to do side by side comparisons. I would try to make sure you are comparing exactly the same master. On Tidal I can't fully open the MQA files as my DAC is not a MQA compatible one. Only using Amazon HD at the moment, may try Qobuz again but quite a few albums I like are missing compared to Tidal/Spotify/Deezer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast