+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pro-Ject VCS Record Cleaning Machine - New Adhesive Strips?

Default Pro-Ject VCS Record Cleaning Machine - New Adhesive Strips?

Hi Chaps,

I have a Pro-Ject VCS Record Cleaning Machine that, on the whole, I have been very pleased with. It replaced a machine twice as expensive that gave up the ghost after just a couple of years.

However, Pro-Ject have now discontinued the original white adhesive strips for the vacuum arm in favour of black adhesive ones.

The white strips were not perfect - they had a habit of peeling off occasionally, probably due to substandard batches. However, they had a relatively deep pile (for want of a better word) that kept the metal vacuum arm and it's slot well away from the record surface.

However, the new black strips are VERY thin and mean the metal vacuum arm's slot is perilously close to the record surface which makes me a bit uncomfortable. If the strip is not perfectly positioned the metal could scrape the vinyl surface.

Anyone else thought about this issue? Also, I'm wondering if anyone else had made their own adhesive strips as I doubt they are anything special. Someone on Amazon recommends using 6 mm draught excluder.

Any thoughts or comments welcome.

I'm Adrian.

Have you considered making your own with some double sided adhesive tape and velvet ribbon. I made my own record vacuum cleaner, a bit Heath Robinson, I glue Velvet ribbon to the modified vacuum wand with a marrow slit in it which the rests on top of the vinyl as I spin it. I have had no damage to any records and replace the velvet ribbon every 50 or so record cleaned.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-VHB-Do...cAAOSwLcZe65w~

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/La-Stepha...3742cd7b69b125
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

Thanks Adrian, that's certainly an interesting idea. How thick is the velvet ribbon?

I'm jamie.

try searching on ebay for the moth ones,they might do the trick.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    try searching on ebay for the moth ones,they might do the trick.
    Thanks, the new Pro-Ject ones are very similar to the Moth ones, just not quite as wide.

If memory serves me correctly, the Moth machines have a plastic vacuum arm? The Pro-Ject ones have a metal arm. The thing I'm concerned about is these new thin strips don't allow much clearance of the metal vacuum tube slot. I would be worried less about a plastic arm as if it did inadvertently come into contact with the vinyl surface I think it would do less damage.

Maybe I'm worrying unnecessarily. It's just one of those situations where a manufacturer had it right with the original part and the new part is, in my view, inferior.

I'm richard.

My replacement VCS came with thick white strips fitted with the thinner black strips (and white} as spares. With black fitted it now dries a LP in fewer rotations. I've not had damaged LPs but I have carefully adjusted the platter to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    My replacement VCS came with thick white strips fitted with the thinner black strips (and white} as spares. With black fitted it now dries a LP in fewer rotations. I've not had damaged LPs but I have carefully adjusted the platter to suit.
    Many thanks, that's comforting I have one pair of white left and then I'll be moving on to black.

+ Reply to Thread