+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good DIY RCA cable choice

I'm Chris.

Just to update this, I went with the Neotech NEI-3004 cable and the KLE style connectors.

I'll post some pics of the made up cable when I get home today but I have to say overall I'm very pleased with it. Only connected the shield at the source end (after reading a War & Peace amount of 'information' as to the 'why's' and the 'why not's' of doing this). Eventually I pulled apart another pair of my favourite sounding IC's and they were connected in this way so I followed suit.

After a couple of 'practice' goes with some bellwire I got in the groove of tipping both cable and connector and really cleaning the tip of the solder iron between every application. Wow, what a difference that makes. All nice shiny finishes without any blobs or oxidisation/discolouring.

Now I'm getting cocky and wondering if I should make some more maybe with these plugs:

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/cat...-rca-plug.html

Is it worth climbing up the Neotech cable ladder for a notch up in performance or anything else around I should try? Will definitely look into the microphone cable suggestion from others, thanks for that.

Like I say I'm really pleased with the performance of these but the plugs are made in Taiwan and materials quality isn't exactly guaranteed.

Cheers,

Chris
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Alan.

Just stick with that cable Chris, good result.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Just stick with that cable Chris, good result.
    Good advice as ever Alan.

Might just make a few more of the same then and replace the whole lot and sell the pretty Chord ones . . . .
    I think I'm at a stage a lot of people on here go through in their 'journey'. It's an enlightening place to be that's for sure.

Great fun.
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -

I'm Bill.

How flexible is the Neotech cable?
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourneendboy View Post
    How flexible is the Neotech cable?
    Hi Bill,

apologies for late reply.

It's medium to slightly stiff I would say. Not quite as flexible as Chord Chameleon (blue one) but not far off. I'm using it to bend 180' from rear of turntable into phono stage sitting below it (about 20cm below) and the cable is 30cm long if you can picture that.

Wouldn't want to put much more pressure on the bend than that.

I'm Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Opti-cal View Post
    Hi Bill,

apologies for late reply.

It's medium to slightly stiff I would say. Not quite as flexible as Chord Chameleon (blue one) but not far off. I'm using it to bend 180' from rear of turntable into phono stage sitting below it (about 20cm below) and the cable is 30cm long if you can picture that.

Wouldn't want to put much more pressure on the bend than that.
    No worries and thank you
    Chord Mojo / Sennheiser HD600

I'm Jesper.

Hi Chris

I’m no expert but I have made a ton of hifi DIY cables over the years, from simple one all the way up to exotic ones; 5 layer shielding, pure silver and I even tried gold + all sorts of connectors; cheap to stupid
    I’m passionate about cables, I love trying new stuff everting from cables to big amplifiers, room correction you name it...I’m a big kid when it comes to my hobby

I see that you have settled on a shielded one, I think you should make two versions of your cable as it’s my experience that shielded cables, especially short runs don’t really benefit from shielding, I find the unshielded more “open”...just my 2 cents
    Hope I’m not “opening a can of worms” here

I always end up back to my Blue jeans & Mogami copper cables - simple good quality copper, no fuss cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12