+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugden A-21a or A21SE

I'm Horacio.

Default Sugden A21SE

Hello Chaps,

I have been looking at a mint A21SE for sale but it needs a phono preamp making it a little bit expensive for my budget [£1.250]. It is a superb single-ended class A amp.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/...ted-amplifier/

Any users on this forum?

Cheers,

Horacio

PS: sorry I attache a wrong photo, my apologies.
    Last edited by F575M; 20-07-2020 at 23:03.

I'm Phil.

wonderful amps , beautifully made , tremendous grunt . wonder why the seller is selling at such a loss after only a few months . seems a bit odd
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Horacio.

This is what the chap said, “ I'm a bit ashamed to tell that story. I was selling a tube amp of mine, and wanting to buy a different pre. I had my eye on a Sugden Materclass pre on usaudiomart, and the day after my amp sold, I went to look up that ad, and it was gone! But, there was a new ad for the blue A21. I immediately called the seller and met him here in AZ the next day. A couple of days later I realized that even though it was great, I didn't need an integrated amp, I needed a new ore to go with a McIntosh amp that I had just refurbished. That's what happened. Sometimes I m a little too impulsive, but it is an absolutely lovely sounding amp. A couple of years ago I had a Cayin pure class A solid state integrated that was well thought of by reviewers 40 wpc, but it couldn't even come close to the sound of the Sugden”.

Bear in mind that most Americans do not like the British sound, just noise.

Cheers,

I'm Phil.

yes , i am sure we all fall prey to being impulsive

i presume its this one ?
    https://www.sugdenaudio.com/a21-inte...line-amplifier

i have had the one above , the a21se and its a very exceptional amp with tremendous clarity and grunt . very low noise floor and very engaging
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Horacio.

I'm Graham.

Lovely amp Horacio,
    With the right speakers it can sound divine, though matching is critical. Look for an 8ohm or higher load with a benign impedance. I've been using a A21a power amp with Rogers LS 3/5a and although the Rogers are rather inefficient, the 15ohm load is well suited to the Sugden. I also had surprising ly good results with 87db Sonus Fabers many years back, again the impedance load was favourable. IMO, its amp that seems to favour more cultured sounding speakers.

I'm Horacio.

I will use a pair of Tannoy Devons specially built for Martin Hannett original partner/director at Tony Wilson's Factory Records.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by F575M View Post
    I will use a pair of Tannoy Devons specially built for Martin Hannett original partner/director at Tony Wilson's Factory Records.
    Little bit of history there - Hannett produced records for Joy Division/New Order, Happy Mondays, among many others IIRC he was played by Andy Serkis in "24hr Party People", the story of Factory Records - a super little film with a great cast list.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread