+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Digital Question

I'm John.

Default Digital Question

Hi - What’s currently the best software for organising digital music? ie a better version of iTunes.
    I’ve used iPods and iTunes for years but now have High-ish res files stored on a local NAS and I use Logitech Media server to organise them - to be honest it isn’t satisfactory in terms of access etc.

I’d like something that allows me to create playlists, view artwork and basically organise the files more effectively etc on iMac and/or PC. I use an Astell & Kern Kann for portable music purposes.

Any advice gladly received.

Cheers John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Chris.

I can recommend gmusicbrowser http://www.gmusicbrowser.org/ its available free in the software manager in Linux Mint https://www.linuxmint.com/

Here is a screenshot of it playing music and displaying album artwork.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by johnB View Post
    Hi - What’s currently the best software for organising digital music? ie a better version of iTunes.
    I’ve used iPods and iTunes for years but now have High-ish res files stored on a local NAS and I use Logitech Media server to organise them - to be honest it isn’t satisfactory in terms of access etc.

I’d like something that allows me to create playlists, view artwork and basically organise the files more effectively etc on iMac and/or PC. I use an Astell & Kern Kann for portable music purposes.

Any advice gladly received.

Cheers John
    John do you use the Material Skin GUI with your Logitech Media Server ? If not then before you try anything else I wouls suggest you give that a look and see if it will do what you need. Al you need do is download the Material Skin Plug in and then under Interface chooe the Material Skin option from the drop down .

You then use your PC / Mac / Phone or Tablet to go to 192.168.1.---:9000 the three dashes being the ISP address of your LMS and it will give you a new and quite feature rich GUI were you can see thumbnails of all your albums , details of the artists when playing and a review of the album and the songlyrics when playing plus other skills . Please remember this a free add on so if your music taste is quite wide then you will find gaps but it does make the use of LMS a more visual delight than the standard .

I'm John.

Thanks Andrew and Chris, I shall follow up on your suggestions. Cheers John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

I'm John.

I’ve tried Material Skin on LMS on my PC Andrew - it looks really good and the functionality seems to be what I’m after - thanks. I’m now trying to find how to link my iPhone to LMS but can’t find an App - can you help me with this?

Many thanks
    John
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

I'm Andrew.

Ipeng will link your phone to LMS but Ive no idea what then happens to your material skin thingamajig.

I'm Andrew.

I'm Andrew.

John

You do not link your iPhone with an app . Just open up a browser and type in the ISP addres of your LMS 192.168.1.---:9000 save it to your favourites on your browser as whatever you want to call it then go on line . This will open the same page as your PC but smaller . As it is an online page this works with any browser and with any type of product that can access the internet so phone , tablet , Smart Tv .

Just to mention that Ipeng will access your LMS as noted above but will not let you access Material Skin . You have to pay for iPeng the Material Skin access via the internet is free . Please however be aware that as LMS and Material Skin are fixed to your home network they will only work when connected to your home network (Wireless or Wired) they can not as far as I am aware remotely connect .

I'm John.

That’s brilliant Andrew - many thanks for your help. Cheers John
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.

+ Reply to Thread