+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never ending Hi Fi Pain - VTA adjust on Technics EP-250

I'm Robert.

Default Never ending Hi Fi Pain - VTA adjust on Technics EP-250

No secret that I'm a big advocate of the Technics tonearm, on the fly vta system.

I find it superb when dialing in the cart sweet-spot during tonearm/cart set up.

It's the reason why I went with the Technics EPA-250 tonearm over other very good options, for my SP10 tt, as the carts I use tend to be very vta adjust sensitive in terms of set up and nailing their narrow sweet-spot window. Once in through, in my experience, the system audio replay is fantastic.

However, for the second time I've had to revisit set / redial in the sweet-spot via vta.

At first I didn't immediately realise that the vta adjustment had actually moved and put the loss of focus, splashiness, mid upper frequency lift, ear fatigue down to my speakers and/or maybe my new acquired tonearm cable, changing and bedding in.

Then one day I looked at the vta marker and noticed the red line marker was not where I remember it being when I'd set the vta, so I got to trying to dial it in again, something i hate doing and find takes a long time to get right.

Eventually as always I got there.

The music/sound over the past week or two has been again superb, even up to last night - excellent.

Today though, sound not right. I've looked at the red marker and the vta has definitely moved. I took a pic last time for reference, which also confirms.

After the first time, I happened to come across this https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.h...cs%2Bepa%2B100

This had crossed my mind before, as I didn't realise that whilst i was getting the Technics on the fly system, my EPA-250 and the expensive EPA-100 does not have the vta lock, which they added later to the tonearms on the 1200/1210's.

So bottom line is, the same ole, one step forward, two backwards, as always seems to be the case i'm finding in this game. I'm pi&&ed to say the least. obviously I cant/wont/dont play my system until I've mailed set up and it is sounding right, also, I really really cant be asked with trying to re-dial in, every few weeks or so, it is too time consuming and fatiguing.

I really didn't realise that the EPA-250 vta adjust doesn't lock, causing the arm pillar to sink, little by little with use. It's a lovely, quality arm but like so much in relation to vinyl / hifi, is flawed !

Not sure what I'm going to do, going forward, but fed up with it to be honest
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Graham.

Hi Robbie, sorry to hear it. Must be a pain after the micro seiki which did have a lock. I don't know anything about the EPA 250 but it might be worthwhile having a chat to Steve at Magna. Could some sort of grub screw be fitted or some other modification be made to increase the friction ? If anyone could come up with something clever it would be steve.

I'm Alan.

Steve was the first that came to my mind as well. Be surprised if he can't come up with a fix.

I'm Mike.

Simple fix is putting it back on the same spot if it moves?

Tiny line up mark would do.

I'm jamie.

Should have got a 1010
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    Should have got a 1010
    Er nah! Great arm I don't doubt but as you know I love the super smooth usability of the Technics on the fly system.

The best for dialling in the vta/sweetspot in my experience and makes life a lot easier with the 'fussier' stylus profile I use. BUT, sadly for me this one doesnt have the vta lock which they added later to the system otherwise, would be perfecto !

Also, It's nice we dont all have to go for the same tonearm option.....
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm jamie.

Yeah good on you for being different, every cu*** got a 1010
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    Yeah good on you for being different, every cu*** got a 1010
    Damn excellent tonearm from all I've heard. I'd have one myself if it had on the fly like the Techie (with a lock as well)
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Hi Robbie, sorry to hear it. Must be a pain after the micro seiki which did have a lock. I don't know anything about the EPA 250 but it might be worthwhile having a chat to Steve at Magna. Could some sort of grub screw be fitted or some other modification be made to increase the friction ? If anyone could come up with something clever it would be steve.
    That would seem to be the best solution, for someone with the tools and talent. Drill, tap, grub screw.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm jamie.

i know where id be sending it robbie.....
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast