+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audial Model S4 vs. DDDAC

I'm Jim.

Default Audial Model S4 vs. DDDAC

I need a new DAC and have narrowed my choices down to the Audial S4 and DDDAC. Both are NOS. I have heard the Audial and like it very much, but have never have heard the DDDAC. If anyone has listened to both, it would be great to hear your impressions of the two. Thanks.

I'm Bill.

Hi Jim

Very interested as I’ve also asked this question elsewhere but not come across anyone who has compared them. I’ve been wondering about the Audial and the few people who have purchased one seem very happy.

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the Audial, given that you’ve heard one but are not yet committed to buying.

Cheers. Bill

I'm Jim.

Hi Bill:

I would be happy to share my thoughts. I have used the Model S USB for 10 years. The Audial Model DACs are special. They make bits of information sound like music. They sound organic, natural, the timber is spot on, and the imaging is dimensional. The music flows and you can listen all day long with no fatigue. The designer, Redja Rogic, has probably squeezed more performance out of the old TDA 1541 chip than anyone on the planet. The only reason I am thinking of replacing the Audial is that it no longer works in my system. I need something with other inputs besides USB and preferably volume control. Otherwise, I really see no reason to make a change.

For what its worth, I have compared my Model vs. the Schiit Bi Frost 2 in my system. It was no contest to my ears. The Model beats it hands down in just about every measure. I happen to prefer NOS DACs. To a significant extent, my preference for the Model is similar to why some people prefer NOS vs OS DACs. To me, the Bi Frost sounds thin, the timber is off a bit, and lacks emotion. When listening to the Bi Frost, I kept turning the volume down because the sound bothered me. I never do that with the Model. I think for those who prefer NOS, these criticisms are common of OS DACs in general. So if you are in the same camp, I assume your conclusions would be similar. If your preference is more toward OS dacs, then you may come to a different conclusion.

Below I have attached two links worth reading. I did not author either, but the individuals posting in each case obviously put a lot of effort into their writings. I have to agree with their conclusions.

I have spent a lot of time on various forums. There are people out there that say that other NOS implementations have now surpassed the old TDA 1541, such as the DDDAC, discrete R2R DACs like Denafrips or Metrum. I have not heard any of these DACs, so I can't comment based on personal experience. That said, my sense from reading all sorts of reviews and posts on various forums is that the Audial Model is probably better than all but the most expensive Denafrips DACs, but probably falls short of the middle to more expensive DACs from Metrum, such as the Onyx and up. Again, this is just my impression.

The bottom line is I really like the Model DACs from Audial. I would not hesitate to get one. Most DACs these days are like toys. They are built to a price point, are lightweight, and the minimal cost is put into key components such as the power supplies. In contrast, the Model DACs are built like tanks. They are heavy and well built, with a well designed and implemented power supplies. I think this makes a big difference in why the Audial DACs sound so nice.

https://theaudiostandard.net/thread/...supplies%20etc.

https://www.changstar.com/www.changs...%2C2452.0.html
    Last edited by jwr159; 19-07-2020 at 15:15.

I'm Bill.

Thanks Jim

Really useful. I’ll certainly be interested to hear again from you if you are able to do some comparisons with the better implementations of the DDDAC and of course the better Metrum DACs (I’m currently using an old Metrum Octave MkI) etc.

I’m seriously considering the Audial S4, but it will be a bit of a step in the dark as I can’t easily get to hear one.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers. Bill

I'm Jim.

Bill, yes buying audio gear these days is a dilemma. I'm located in a somewhat remote location in the USA. I have to drive 2+ hours to visit a dealership of any kind. Listening/auditioning is not a practical option for me. What I end up buying will be an educated guess based on spending too many hours on the Internet.

There are a few other points I can make to help out.

1. I also compared my Audial with the Chord Qutest. Again, the Audual was better. I would take the Chord over the Bi Frost 2 any day.

2. Here is link to a thread on a forum were the original poster provides comments on a number of NOS dacs. Several things too note: (1) the original poster is the same person who wrote one of the reviews I posted above; (2) the Audial DACs are highly praised; and (3) the writer seems to have moved on and prefers the more expensive Metrum DACs.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.or...st.4049/page-5

3. My guess is the more expensive DACs like the Pavone, top of the line DDDAC, etc. are better that the Audial Model Dacs. But they are also more expensive. At the price point of the Model S4, I am not sure you will fine a better DAC.

4. I am now considering the Sonnet Morpheus DAC - made by same designer as the Metrum DACs. The Morpheus has volume control and is supposed to be better than the Pavane. But it is more expensive than the S4.

5. I am leaning away from the DDDAC at this point. It is too much of an unknown and I prefer something with volume control.

My 2 cents.

I'm Bill.

Hi Jim

I'll be very interested to see how you feel your Model S compares to the Sonnet Morpheus.

Cheers. Bill

I'm Jim.

I went ahead and purchased the Morpheus. Have to say it is an impressive DAC. The tone and sound character of the Model S and the Morpheus are very similar, but there is more of everything with the Morpheus. More detail, more texture, quieter background, more 3D, etc. On excellent recordings, the Morpheus is spectacular. On poor recordings, you hear all the faults with the Morpheus, more so than with Model. Both a great DACs. if the budget allows, the Sonnet is better, but nearly 2X the cost. If not, the Model is still an outstanding choice. BTW, the Models are being phased out and being replaced by the S4.

I'm Bill.

Thanks Jim - I'm starting to wonder whether the Metrum Onyx might be a better option. All very difficult trying to decide without hearing different kit!

Cheers. Bill

I'm Jim.

I think either the Onyx or Audial S4 would be a very good choice, although I have never heard the Metrum.

+ Reply to Thread