+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage British valve integrated amplifier

I'm Horacio.

I live in the States, it can be used with a step-down transformer but at what "sonic" price? How much will the transformer alter the original sound? It will be another link in the audio chain.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by F575M View Post
    I live in the States, it can be used with a step-down transformer but at what "sonic" price? How much will the transformer alter the original sound? It will be another link in the audio chain.
    Provided a good quality step-down transformer is used, having a sufficiently high VA rating, impregnated laminations, and complete absence of mechanical mains 'hum' due to loose laminations vibrating, then despite it being another link in the chain it should not impact on the sound quality of the amplifier.

But there is not only a change in mains voltage (115V) but there is also a change in frequency (60Hz). The latter may have an effect, it depends on the design of the mains transformer used, but should not to be a problem with any well designed amplifier.

I use several items of US audio gear, designed to be used with either voltage (115/230V) and frequency (50/60Hz), and all of them perform flawlessly.
    Barry

I'm Horacio.

It makes a lot of sense, thank you. Some UK made amplifiers have multi voltage options.

I have been communicating with the owner of a pair of METAMPs 5-20 - multi voltage, they are listed on ebay. Out of curiosity, I did a web search and, to my surprise, they have been for sale for a generation, since 2011. Once I read the forum's comments about the Metamp I panicked, there are several negative reviews.

I'm David.

Yes, there is one for sale on ebay but it is a 220VAC, bloody hell!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUBE-TECH...MAAOSwRi9eHcry
    Easily sorted with a bucking transformer!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I'm Horacio.

It is a dual voltage amp 110/220. There are many posts on this forum regarding the Matamp, it has too many problems. No wonder it has been on the market for almost a decade. Go figure.

I'm Dennis.

Found a UNISIS tube tech power amp but, bloody hell, it is a 240VAC amp. Many people who move to countries with different voltages use step-down, step-up transformers. How much will the sound deteriorate if I use a step-down transformer? It is a great amp.

Horacio
    If you live in the States where I think the voltage is lower than that of the amplifier you mention, you will need a step-up transformer not a step down one.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    If you live in the States where I think the voltage is lower than that of the amplifier you mention, you will need a step-up transformer not a step down one.
    Correct - You'll need a step up transformer as you are going from 110 coming out the wall to 240 going into the amp to make it work properly.

Effect on SQ is debatable. Some say it makes no difference, some say it does reduce SQ. I don't see how it can effect SQ. The amp doesn't know what is happening to the voltage before it gets to it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Barry has nailed it in post 22. As long as you use a well made step up trafo with sufficient Watts or VA rating it won't impact SQ. Ideally one with significantly higher rating than the amp actually needs to avoid voltage sag which might affect performance. Bear in mind this will raise the voltage beyond specified so it is prudent to buy a step up trafo for 120 - 230V rather than 110 - 240V.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

Arguably it might also provide some spike filtering, but make sure that the current rating is sufficient or greater.

I'm Horacio.

I am also considering a Beard BB-100 integrated amplifier.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast