+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage British valve integrated amplifier

I'm Horacio.

Default Vintage British valve integrated amplifier

Hi Chaps,

I would like to find an integrated valve amp for my Tannoy Devons, I have had several valve amps in the past - Leak, Radford and QUAD - but I do no recall having seen an integrated unit.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Horacio

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Rogers Cadet ?
    Quote Originally Posted by F575M View Post
    Hi Chaps,

I would like to find an integrated valve amp for my Tannoy Devons, I have had several valve amps in the past - Leak, Radford and QUAD - but I do no recall having seen an integrated unit.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Horacio
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Horacio.

Hi Anthony,

How could have I missed it? There is one for sale in Cornwall but I also found a new Rogers V now made in Germany, kind of expensive, 2.199,00 €. Please see link.

https://rogershifi.de/produkte/ampli...lve-amplifier/

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A friend of mine had one - nice little amplifier, if lacking power and bass grip.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/rog...et-iii-vintage

10W is just about sufficient for the Tannoy Devons with 89dB/W sensitivity.

Another vintage British integrated amplifier to consider is the EMI 555 Stereoscope (aka HMV 555 Stereoscope) amplifier. Also 10W/channel from a pair of EL84s in push-pull. Very well built by the UK company Clarke and Smith, these units are quite rare, but occasionally come up for sale.

Barry

Hi Horacio,
    Indeed, infact i have one sat at the side of me in my workshop, its a Cadet 3, i have had it a while, i have had most roger's models in at some point over the years.
    A...
    Hi Anthony,

How could have I missed it? There is one for sale in Cornwall but I also found a new Rogers V now made in Germany, kind of expensive, 2.199,00 €. Please see link.

https://rogershifi.de/produkte/ampli...lve-amplifier/
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.

I'm Horacio.

The Cadet III is rated at 12W/Ch, enough to drive my Devons for classical music?

I would think so, although some here might disagree, a lot depends on the size of your room, and how closely you listen. Safe to say, i think you would be surprised!
    The Cadet III is rated at 12W/Ch, enough to drive my Devons for classical music?
    Nikola Tesla

Scott are another manufacturer of fine vintage integrated's to look out for too, especialy over your side of the pond.
    A...
    Nikola Tesla

I'm Horacio.

The Cadet has a phono stage for ceramic cartridges and I will need a phono stage for magnetic types, a big problem.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Not according to: https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...adet-iii.shtml

But even with 10W and the 89dB/w sensitivity of the Tannoy Devons, you will be able to achieve maximum SPL of 99dB. That is pretty loud (certainly it's loud enough for me), but a typical orchestra can easily achieve much higher levels on peak tuttis, so you might feel you lack the dynamics required to reproduce symphonies realistically.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast