+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you start?

I'm guy.

After a Bush system (BSR? deck, rebadged Rotel amp and no idea what speakers):

About 1976: Rega Planar 2 (wood surround version), Quad 22 and II's and pair of Wharfdale Glendales - later joined by an Akai GXC39D (thought it was the dogs bollocks at the time)
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Laurie.

Arcam alpha, Arcam tuner, thorens td 160, Nagoka mp11 Stilton bodied, heybrook hb1, , several years passed before got CD player, first one in 1996 marantz 63ki.
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Wow, a great variation for first systems on here.

Keep them coming people!

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Julian.

First proper system (after years of hand-me-down music centres and godawful "stacking" systems):

• Systemdek IIX/900 (oak veneer), RB250, AT95E
    • Technics SLP-777
    • Pioneer A400
    • Monitor Audio 14
    • Monster biwire speaker cable (no idea what model)

Still have the amp and speakers, they are doing fine service in my office for background music and the occasional session when I'm banished from the lounge!

I'm ahto.

got tired of my Kenwood mid-fi stack. got a pair of proper(ish) speakers (French, Mosquito(?)). soon went in search for more & got my head turned by ex-demo Alchemist Kraken gear: CDP, pre, power amp. then came an RP3 & a Graham Slee phonostage. still regret selling the Krakens.
    Lenco L75 in a very heavy plinth /Hadcock 228 /London Decca Blue /Croft SMA IV Octal with separate 2020 PSU/ Croft 7R monos /Harbeth SHL5

Fletcher .3 /Hadcock 228 / Denon 103R/ Croft HeadAmp /Croft Mega Micro II (2015) /Croft Series 5 MkIi /Markaudio SOTA Cesti B

Leak Troughline III GTA / Vecteur D-2.2 / Wadia 121 / Katana, Isolator & RPi /RFC & AntiCable

I'm Laurie.

I should amend , first system was two Philips mono phonograms, (the ones with speaker on front) wired together to get what I thought was stereo, still dual mono sounded good to my 11year old ears. Used to play parents 60’s singles, first record I loved became a 45 of booker t’s , green onions.
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    Used to play parents 60’s singles, first record I loved became a 45 of Booker T’s 'Green Onions'.
    A man of taste!
    Barry

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    It maybe a mk1, mine was definitely a mk2 though as I remember the weight. Laugh a minute getting that balanced properly!
    Yeah - I had a TD 150 MKii and it had (if I remember correctly) two knobs at the front rather than one. SO I'm guessing that the pic is a Mk I.

My first bit of 'proper' hifi was a Pioneer PD6100 CD Player that I had to play through a Sanyo mini system as it would be another couple of years before I could afford an amp and speakers, which were: Pioneer A656 amp and Mordaunt Short MS3.30s. The speakers I still have, although have been stored for the last 20 years. When I dug them out and popped them them into my mature, grown-up system, I was amazed (yes, actually amazed) at how great they sounded.

I'm John.

1st rig in April 87 was:
    Mahogany veneered Manticore Mantra mk1 with rebadged RB250 & A&R Cambridge P77Mg, Rotel RA 840BX2, Celestion DL6s, Target 3 shelf (but full height) rack and target stands with 1.5 T&E as speaker cable.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Found a pic of the TD150 mk2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast