+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michell Gyrodec vs SME 20/2

I'm Martin.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    A friend went from Gyrodec to SME 20/2 with SME V and never looked back. I went from Gyrodec with SME IV(special build) which was virtually a V without VTF spring adjustment to Gorbe (Gyrodec with Orbe platter, better PSU, chassis upgrade kit), then added Pete's pylons and designed my own feet, all of which made it sound better but still not happy. So went to Voyd with SME IV, then Jelco TK850M 10" arm, as good as SME IV imo, this set up IMO was as good as what I had before but more involving. Finally moved to Pro-Ject Signature 10, if I could have afforded it I would have gone for a 12, very nice TT lots of detail, depth and blackness, great sound stage. The move to my current TT was definitely a VFM move resulting a great pleasurable listen IMHO.

If I had the money I would possibly go for a direct drive, something like a Brinkman Bardo and tonearm or STST Modus II with probably a Reed 12" or similar arm, or possibly stick with belt and go for an Origin Live Sovereign TT and 12" Arm. Spending much more than what the aforementioned are and I think it can become a bit of a minefield as to whether the improvement is really worth the extra, and its very easily to spend very large sums and end up with something you are not happy with and tricky to sell on with out serious loss.

If I did any of the above would it be a big improvement, I doubt it, perhaps subtle improvements in detail and depth, but it would cost at least twice what I have for maybe a subtle 2-3% improvement so perhaps not worth it.
    Thanks for your detailed response Adrian.
    It looks like you have had lots of turntable experience and interesting you went with the Project.
    I must admit that is my wife's favourite on looks alone.

I think I will have to arrange some auditions as so many interesting feedback.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Martin.

Interesting regarding the suspension bands. I had not considered that. Thanks Nari.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I have no direct experience of either TT/arm comination, but a friend of mine has an Orbe fitted with an SME IV (fettled by SME, so effectively a V, but without the adjustable VTF). He is constantly 'tinkering' with it and recently the power supply failed and had to be repaired/replaced by Mitchel at a cost of £200.

Were it me, I would go for the SME 20/2, but I have heard from users I trust that, ironically, the SME V arm is not a good sonic match for the SME TT.
    Yes Barry, I have heard the same think regarding the V arm.
    I am still running the original AC motor and its rock steady. Should I touch wood now!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    I've been using a Model 15/V now for two years and am highly delighted with the results I get from it. Pure pleasure and a doddle to set up.

Thanks John.
    Feedback I have had, suggests the newer models are a significant improvement over the earlier models including the 20-2.
    Do you like a detailed sound?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    My choice would be the SME
    Not quite in the same league as your new turntable 👍

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12