+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turntable volume very low

I'm Christopher.

Default Turntable volume very low

Hi All,
    Wondering if you can help.

Apologies if this help request is in the wrong section of the forum.

When I use the turntable, the volume is very low compared to the cd player. I understand it could be the cartridge or the amp but both seem adequate so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

The kit is:
    Pioneer A300R precision amplifier. Received today - very nice
    Thorens TD166 MKII turntable with a Goldring Elektra cartridge. Output is 5mv
    JR 149 speakers
    A cheap/nasty sony cd player

Any help much appreciated

I'm Gordon.

Apologies if this is too obvious, but:

Turntable connections into "phono input" (not a line input!)?
    Amplifier switching all in the correct places / line up?
    Can you try an alternative TT / cartridge?
    Possible fault with phono stage (How old is the amp; where / when did you obtain it)?
    Do you have the amplifier manual to 'troubleshoot'?
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnerbean View Post
    Hi All,
    Wondering if you can help.

Apologies if this help request is in the wrong section of the forum.

When I use the turntable, the volume is very low compared to the cd player. I understand it could be the cartridge or the amp but both seem adequate so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

The kit is:
    Pioneer A300R precision amplifier. Received today - very nice
    Thorens TD166 MKII turntable with a Goldring Elektra cartridge. Output is 5mv
    JR 149 speakers
    A cheap/nasty sony cd player

Any help much appreciated
    Hello Christopher, I looked up the spec of your amplifier, and is is as below

Input Sensitivity Impedance
    PHONO(MM) 2.8mV/50kOhm
    CD, Tuner, Line, Tape 1/DAT, Tape 2 Monitor 200mV/50kOhm

Phono Overload Level
    1kHz THD0.1% (MM) 150mV

Have you checked you have the turntable lead plugged into the phono RCA sockets on the amp? You should not have a volume issue IMO.

Can you check if the turntable and cartridge work with another amp OK? If it does and you have the turntable connected to the phono sockets on the Pioneer A300R then it sounds as if you might have a phon stage problem. To check this connect another turntable with a MM cartridge and see if it works or not.

I hope that helps.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Alan.

This is a typical problem in that you are putting 10x the necessary signal level into the CD input.

CD, 200mV/50kOhm

Typical CD player output 2V, or to put another way 2000mV.
    The only way to equalise the levels is to cut down the CD output signal, a few players have adjustable output, or you could use attenuators.

The problem is attenuators often rob the dynamics of the signal.

I'm Christopher.

Hi Gordon, Thanks for your reply. Using the phono input and the amplifier switches are all in the right places. I brought the amplifier a couple days ago from a fellow forum member who only used it for CDs. So it could be the phono

I'm Christopher.

I think I need to check the amp with another turntable and the turntable with another amp. I can't do this at home but I might take it to the shop I brought he speakers from.

I'm Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    This is a typical problem in that you are putting 10x the necessary signal level into the CD input.

CD, 200mV/50kOhm

The only way to equalise the levels is to cut down the CD output signal, a few players have adjustable output, or you could use attenuators.

Hi Alan, Thank you for replying. I'm not very technical (!) but the volume on the CD seems about right, volume turned a quarter up is a nice healthy volume, whilst the same volume on the turntable and I can barely hear. Sorry for the non technical reply

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Runnerbean View Post
    I think I need to check the amp with another turntable and the turntable with another amp. I can't do this at home but I might take it to the shop I brought he speakers from.
    Good plan.... Should present you with an answer I suspect.
    Technics SL1000R, DynavectorXV1t, Garrard 401, Jelco SA750LB, Decca Reference, ATVM750SH, AT33Mono, Hana Umami Red, Reimyo CDP777, EarYoshino 912, Ear Yoshino 509s, JBLK2 SL5800s, ART Dram interconnects / speaker cables.

I'm Grant.

the amp may have been modded i guess.. ive heard of some that the phono stage is removed and its just a line..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

CD, 200mV/50kOhm

Exactly what I thought, it's a fairly common issue.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast