+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FM heaven

I'm Dennis.

You see what you guys have done? I have now bought an Accuphase tuner from Germany via the bay, and childish though it is, I'm excited.

I just had to see if it was possible to squeeze more out of FM.

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    You see what you guys have done? I have now bought an Accuphase tuner from Germany via the bay, and childish though it is, I'm excited.

I just had to see if it was possible to squeeze more out of FM.
    Withl these miserable comments about modern radio you must be wondering if its all worth it

I'm Dennis.

Yes very much so, but I want a forensic analysis before I write a completely condemnatory analysis and critique of the BBC, asking them if they really think that the crap they turn pout warrants the licence fee.

I'm Laurie.

I really like large chunks of bbc radio 6 but via dac, dab sucks, used to find in many cases free view tuner thru main rig was better than fm.
    Accuphase is so good at finding obscure stations, makes a great journey of exploration, many superb stations on continent in early hours.
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm Dennis.

I have been comparing DVB with FM, and sometimes DVB is better, but often they are both not very good suggesting that the source may be to blame.

I look forward to receiving continental stations via FM, living on the sea front.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinijohnson View Post
    Love my Rotel RT 950BX Tuner I paid £30 for. sensitivity is superb. Outperforms my Naim fm streamer. Good antenna helps.
    I've tried various British fm tuners - Cyrus, Arcam etc but they just dont cut it. I'm surrounded by trees!
    Question is - tuners seem so cheap, and it's my preferred source. Can anyone advise me of any hidden gems out there... Sony, Marantz, Denon etc?? Tuners are so cheap - I'd be interested in an upgrade

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Hitachi FT-5500 MK2, have a read of the reviews online, I have one and performance is superb. Make sure it is the Mk2, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-H...MAAOSwpCRfCYIn this is cheap just touch the edges up
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hitachi FT-5500 MK2, have a read of the reviews online, I have one and performance is superb. Make sure it is the Mk2, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-H...MAAOSwpCRfCYIn this is cheap just touch the edges up
    They are, or were well regarded, and I have one in the loft which I use for measuring the aerial I/P level. I haven't recently A/Bed it with any others, I have the AVI S200 Mk i and the Mk II, and will do some comparisons. It was £30 15 years ago.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    They are, or were well regarded, and I have one in the loft which I use for measuring the aerial I/P level. I haven't recently A/Bed it with any others, I have the AVI S200 Mk i and the Mk II, and will do some comparisons. It was £30 15 years ago.
    I also tried a Sansui TU-S7 which is very good, I happen to have it up for sale on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    LOL - I recently threw out one of those tuners. It was in poor condition however.
    Last edited by Barry; 23-07-2020 at 22:37. Reason: addition
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast