+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FM heaven

I'm Colin.

Default FM heaven

Love my Rotel RT 950BX Tuner I paid £30 for. sensitivity is superb. Outperforms my Naim fm streamer. Good antenna helps.
    I've tried various British fm tuners - Cyrus, Arcam etc but they just dont cut it. I'm surrounded by trees!
    Question is - tuners seem so cheap, and it's my preferred source. Can anyone advise me of any hidden gems out there... Sony, Marantz, Denon etc?? Tuners are so cheap - I'd be interested in an upgrade

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I'm Nigel.

Sony ST-S730es. Excellent Japanese tuner that can still occasionally be picked up cheaply. Mine cost £20.
    If you want something better, Beomaster 5000, fantastic FM tuner but not cheap, mine is a definite keeper.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    Sony ST-S730es. Excellent Japanese tuner that can still occasionally be picked up cheaply. Mine cost £20.
    If you want something better, Beomaster 5000, fantastic FM tuner but not cheap, mine is a definite keeper.
    I have one of these - Sony ST-D777ES DAB - but I'm not selling. What I would recommend if you can find one is a JVC TX55 if you can find one at a good price - https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...vc/t-x55.shtml I'm afraid I"m not selling that one either!

I suppose if I give up all ambition to listen to radio these will eventually become available, but probably not this year.

I can't see one for sale here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/JVC-Home-Ra...35/bn_18495220 - though some of the other JVC synthesiser tuners may be similar, and as you say, they're not too expensive - typically under £50. Check the specs against the TX55, and make a judgement.

What do you listen to?
    Dave

I'm Colin.

I've just won a Sony ST-S530ES on ebay for 50 - it seems from the same family. Will give that a go. Anyone know it?

I'm Johan.

Tandberg TPT 3001, regarded as one of the best, or the TPT 3011, not so far behind. If you can get one, you won`t part with it.

If you can use a reciever - look for Tandberg TR 1000 or any other TR -recievers from the mid to the late 70`s. In my country we have a lot of mountains making it hard for FM reception.So we developed our own: Tandberg.

I'm Colin.

thanks - I might just get a tandberg receiver & use the tape out to my amp. they seem quite reasonable, but the tuners are scarce

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Had an Accuphase T101 which was superb. Regretted selling it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm openingabottleofwine.

There are many good FM tuners out there. Those that have passed through my hands are: all of the Quad designs; a Cambridge Audio T55; a couple of Bang & Olufsen models (5000 and 1700) and a Leak 'Troughline Stereo'. Of these, the only one which has disappointed me for sound quality has been the Leak, but that was due to the poor decoder fitted. At the moment I use a Quad FM4, as I like the ability to pre-set stations.

On the whole, the best tuners tend to be either US or Japanese designs; these having better sensitivity and selectivity. Until the advent of local radio in the UK, British tuners did not need to have have high sensitivity or selectivity, so measure poorly in this respect.

At university, a fellow student used a Tandberg receiver (I forgot the model number) which was very good; as was the Tandberg reel-to-reel machine he had.
    Barry

I'm Johan.

If you seek the best sound and reception, it will cost you money. There are some good tuners out there from different brands, many of them named here. Here is a good site for your purpose: https://www.fmtunerinfo.com/

The smallest Tandberg-recievers are good in reception but hardly something for the audiophile. The poweramps in them are weak, with low current capabilities. But the TR 1000-series, and the biggest ones in the TR 2000-series have decent power-sections as well.

One of the very best recievers (as tuner) is the "Tandberg Huldra 10", which is a stereo world radio with a superb AM-section as well. This radio is not so well known outside Norway, so you can get them for a reasonable price. Good sounding amplifier, but weak power-amp. You can get high-end-sound out of it with a pair of the smaller Klipsch-speakers. The Klipsches are easy to drive. I don`t know if the "Huldra" was marketed in the UK. In Norway it is (was) the name of the best.

A fellow of me, living in the difficult mountain-area in the western part of Norway regards the Sanyo-radios (Together with Tandberg) high on reception abilities in difficult conditions. I have no experience with this brand.

Anyway: Good luck to you!
    Last edited by Kvaal; 13-07-2020 at 12:38.

I'm guy.

I have no complaints regarding my Denon TU260L.
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast