+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FM heaven

I'm Laurie.

Have had many tuners, best was md 108t, a analogue marvel, but should be for the coin it cost. Next was Accuphase t1000, a joy to use.
    Currently using Cyrus fm x with psx, for peanuts the fm x was £100, real giant killer with roof Ariel and tuner section fed by psx.
    Shame bbc content now so poor, if I hear one more second rate tv presenter given their own show I will scream. Radio2 now embarrassing , with average age of DJ now 105, Ken bloody Bruce and Steve Wright been doing exactly same stik for 40 years. Arrogant twats. The big show, omg.
    Radio 4 more repeats than a bad curry. Shame grew up on radio Luxembourg in its glory days, and world service which is now a extended business programme.
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm Colin.

Thankfully you didnt berate Tony Blackburn!!
    I tried a Cyrus FM without decent results, & an Arcam 8. My roof aerial is substantial.
    I do receive very good results with the Rotel, but during the daytime the sound often deteriorates. I feel it is the signal & the tuners ability to cope with it.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    Have had many tuners, best was md 108t, a analogue marvel, but should be for the coin it cost. Next was Accuphase t1000, a joy to use.
    Currently using Cyrus fm x with psx, for peanuts the fm x was £100, real giant killer with roof Ariel and tuner section fed by psx.
    Shame bbc content now so poor, if I hear one more second rate tv presenter given their own show I will scream. Radio2 now embarrassing , with average age of DJ now 105, Ken bloody Bruce and Steve Wright been doing exactly same stik for 40 years. Arrogant twats. The big show, omg.
    Radio 4 more repeats than a bad curry. Shame grew up on radio Luxembourg in its glory days, and world service which is now a extended business programme.
    At Last someone who has a similar view to me on the BBC; how the mighty have fallen.
    Radio four seems to be a mutual admiration society for the graduate liberal elite, who waffle on endlessly, and with minimal content, but expressing self aggrandising and showcasing, presumably for self esteem and more money.

I cannot bear; Alan Carr, Graham Norton, Sara Cox, Zoe Ball, and many others, and even the blues woman is annoyingly and cloyingly self indulgent compared with Paul Jones.

Ken Bruce is at least tolerable because he seems less egotistical, but Steve Wright is such an egotist, and so strident in nature, and an arrogant twat. Serious Bulshittin'. Rylan, despite his overall style does play some good music, and Lisa Tarbuck does to me have good taste, but the 'playing into the domestic married lives' style is annoying.

I yearn for yester year, John Peel, self effacing, and discussing the merits of the art.

Technically there is no comparison with the meticulous nature which it showed to audio quality 50 years ago; they are a disgrace.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    At Last someone who has a similar view to me on the BBC; how the mighty have fallen.
    Radio four seems to be a mutual admiration society for the graduate liberal elite, who waffle on endlessly, and with minimal content, but expressing self aggrandising and showcasing, presumably for self esteem and more money.

I cannot bear; Alan Carr, Graham Norton, Sara Cox, Zoe Ball, and many others, and even the blues woman is annoyingly and cloyingly self indulgent compared with Paul Jones.

Ken Bruce is at least tolerable because he seems less egotistical, but Steve Wright is such an egotist, and so strident in nature, and an arrogant twat. Serious Bulshittin'. Rylan, despite his overall style does play some good music, and Lisa Tarbuck does to me have good taste, but the 'playing into the domestic married lives' style is annoying.

I yearn for yester year, John Peel, self effacing, and discussing the merits of the art.

Technically there is no comparison with the meticulous nature which it showed to audio quality 50 years ago; they are a disgrace.
    Yes I agree, especially Sara Cox who is just terrible, so boring I have to switch off.

Don't use my tuner that much, sometimes have it on when I'm working. Mainly listen to Smooth FM as it's the most like Radio 2 used to be in the late 1970s, early 1980s. There are adverts but thankfully very little chatter.

Radio Two now mostly plays the ersatz crap from 10 years ago and I don't know what it is that Radio One plays but it isn't music at all as far as I'm concerned.

I use a Technics ST-G5L tuner from 1984. Got it for nothing about 25 years ago. I have a rooftop aerial, one of the circular ones, as recommended by the installer. Sound quality is adequate to good but I do have line of site to the mast as it's only about two miles away.
    Last edited by Macca; 14-07-2020 at 11:45.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Laurie.

Ya boo bbc controllers, the only bit of radio 2 worth hearing was the evening slot for jazz, blues country folk, now shoved to to early hours.
    Don’t mind Lisa tarbuck. And dermot O’Leary was excellent, his live guest sessions were a weekly highlight,[got several ex cds] got changed and moved. One more camp sarky host and I will scream.
    Most sad is demise of world service, use to be a wide range of interesting oddities from around world, now a audio version of news 24, which is the most anaemic bland news on tv. So terrified of government it’s lost its critical mojo, merely promotes gov propaganda, ie Yemen .
    Tbh get tv news off Al Jazeera, bias yes but honest about it.
    Used to sing praises of bbc, now could happily see it privatised.
    Vitus sia025, brinkman Bardot deck and nyquist dac,Boenicke w8se, Melco server, audiovalve sunilda phono, kondo Cables, lots of Stillpoints, Ess rack.

Worldwide 40 million chickens, ducks, and geese die daily for the plate, savage and wasteful.

I'm Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    Ya boo bbc controllers, the only bit of radio 2 worth hearing was the evening slot for jazz, blues country folk, now shoved to to early hours.
    Don’t mind Lisa tarbuck. And dermot O’Leary was excellent, his live guest sessions were a weekly highlight,[got several ex cds] got changed and moved. One more camp sarky host and I will scream.
    Most sad is demise of world service, use to be a wide range of interesting oddities from around world, now a audio version of news 24, which is the most anaemic bland news on tv. So terrified of government it’s lost its critical mojo, merely promotes gov propaganda, ie Yemen .
    Tbh get tv news off Al Jazeera, bias yes but honest about it.
    Used to sing praises of bbc, now could happily see it privatised.
    Agree with most of what's been said. I blame the younger generation! To me Chris Evans & that woman, Zoe Ball are responsible.
    I do enjoy Jamie McCallum, Johnnie Walker and most of Tony Blackburns stuff - he might be poptastic, but he knows his Soul music. I wish the BBC would stop rescheduling programmes - miss his bbc London afternoon soul slot

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I wouldn't know - I never listen to Radio 1 or Radio 2; only listen to Radio 3 and 4, and LBC.

There are plenty of interesting discussion programmes on R4, such as 'In our Time', and 'The Life Scientific' as well as plays and comedy programmes to listen to. I used to listen to the World Service (on MW), but haven't for a long time now.

Agree about the poor SQ (I blame the use of Optimod), but the 'Proms' broadcasts on R3 are IMO very good. What really annoys me is the excessive chestiness of the continuity announcers.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Radio 4 is just weird. It unsettles me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Radio 4 is just weird. It unsettles me.
    Probably an age thing!
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

Who who ever thought that Chris Evans was talented? Another vacuous prat, and I think Melvyn Bragg is up hi sown a***.

Johnnie Walker is a breath of fresh air, and in lockdown he is obviously paying attention to SQ and mic. positioning, it is often very good.

But R4, and mic positioning, and even on the news.

I nearly bought an Accuphase tuner yesterday, but it won't quite fit into my rack.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast