+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: FM heaven

I'm Colin.

update:
    I bought a Sony ST 530ES on ebay for £50. Arrived in great condition & just plugged it in.
    initial impressions are that it's a seriously good tuner. The Rotel RT 950BX was good, but the Sony has improved imagery, less distortion and pulls in the stations about 10% better which makes a big difference. Bass is fantastic. Very happy - all for a bullseye!

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

I've been listening to my new Accuphase T-105 for a few days now, and particularly today listening to R2 most of the day, I am amazed at what can be obtained from FM. I've read several threads stating that a good tuner can equal and even beat a CD player, and I was very sceptical.

Today absolutely wonderful for 7 hours, and hearing higher resolution and detail than I have retrieved form my supposedly good CD player.
    I'll search for the most recent Accuphase which will fit into my rack.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Colinijohnson View Post
    update:
    I bought a Sony ST 530ES on ebay for £50. Arrived in great condition & just plugged it in.
    initial impressions are that it's a seriously good tuner. The Rotel RT 950BX was good, but the Sony has improved imagery, less distortion and pulls in the stations about 10% better which makes a big difference. Bass is fantastic. Very happy - all for a bullseye!

I've got the matcing 530ES amplifier which is also a cut above. Must have been a good year for ES. 1990 I think.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Colin.

after a good listen I'd say in some respects the Sony wins over the Rotel and in others not. I seem to be getting some sort of signal crossover distortion depending upon the time of day. When the signal is good the Sony has better bass & signal capture. The Rotel seems to have superior separation.
    I'm now tempted with a kenwood 5020 tuner - does anyone know it?

I'm Dennis.

I don't, but the more I look at the Tuner information centre, and I have been nearly all day, the more I see gems.

I love the sound of my Accuphase, and I'm considering a better one. On Steve Wright this afternoon heard Ace of Bass, All She Wants is to Have Another Baby, and it is the best I have ever heard it especially the sax. Well recorded too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234