+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sansui AU - 555A

I'm DAVID.

Default Sansui AU - 555A

Following on from my previous post where it was recommended I try to get hold of a NAD 3020 amp to go with some speakers I now have a 3020E whinging it's way to me however .....
    Whilst rummaging around looking for the NAD I came across a Sansui AU-555A for £70.
    It may or may not work so if it doesn't would it be worth buying and possibly having repaired as these seem to be reasonably well made amps?

I'm Geoff.

The AU-555a is certainly worth grabbing at that price even if it doesn't work, it would be worth two or three times that when fully serviced and recapped. It's a lovely looking bit of kit anyway. I have owned one, a long time ago.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm DAVID.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The AU-555a is certainly worth grabbing at that price even if it doesn't work, it would be worth two or three times that when fully serviced and recapped. It's a lovely looking bit of kit anyway. I have owned one, a long time ago.
    Hi Geoff, thanks for the reply. I'm assuming that for £70 it wont be working and will need work doing.
    Any idea of a rough guide/ball park figure of possible cost and anyone you'd recommend to do the work? Ideally someone close to home near Canterbury, Kent.

I'm Martin.

If I were you David I would get this Sony https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...mplifier-Boxed
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm DAVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If I were you David I would get this Sony https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...mplifier-Boxed
    I must confess I do like the look of that however ..... I've got a NAD 3020E I've just bought on the way and I'm also considering that Sansui AU 555A I mentioned above as well so I think I might have to pass atm.
    Appreciate the pointer though.

I'm Martin.

No worries. The NAD will be fine in any case, but the Sony is a cut above in my opinion.

Personally I'd leave the Sansui if it isn't in perfect working order. Minters can fetch over £200 that is true. If it is faulty and you have a mate who will sort it out just for cost of parts and a drink I'd go for it, but a professional repair can get expensive if the fault is hard to find as they'll charge you for the time it takes them to find it as well as to fix it.

Don't know what rates are now but I paid £20/hr to have a Marantz fixed. He looked at for an hour, said he couldn't find the fault, £20 please. That was almost 30 years ago.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Graham.

Yes that sony es looks a bargain ��

I'm Scott.

I guess it also depends on how sensitive his tannoys are.

I find low wattage receivers from the 70’s usually sound much sweeter than more modern high wattage equivalents.

20-30 watts is more than enough for speakers 91db/w and above if you want to go down the vintage route.

+ Reply to Thread