+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Crap Weather for July

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Where we go (Cap d'Agde) isn't at all touristy, apart from French folk - in all the times we've been there, I've never come across a single Brit. Apart from the odd meal out we cook at home and buy from the local boulangerie, boucherie, and Lidl. You would be so proud of us We do drive around a bit, but don't really mingle as our French is pretty basic.
    Lol - nice one. I was thinking more in terms of the queues for ferries and customs at Calais, and on the approaching motorways (as we'd always be travelling to France by car) and how the social distancing bollocks would affect that, as it's bad enough during the busy tourist season in July/Aug in normal times. Plus how the whole thing would affect hotel bookings, eating out and the shopping experience, etc, so concluded that for this year it would be more bother than it was worth!

We've done self-catering before, and loved it, but not camping. That can defo be fun, but it's not really our thing. We rented a cottage in France and shared it with friends, which was great fun, but only used it as somewhere to sleep and make breakfast, as the rest of the time we were out. Del, quite rightly, takes the view that she cooks for the rest of the year, so when on holiday she likes someone else to do it for her, and be spoiled!

Plus, as you know, we're both major foodies, so exploring nice little family-run French restaurants and sampling the local cuisine is a massive part of our holiday enjoyment. Del's also not the type to be happy sitting around the same place doing nothing (camp site or whatever) - she needs to be 'kept entertained', so likes me taking the car out and exploring the local towns and villages, and doing some sightseeing.

Plus also shopping.... When we take the car to France, it's not just to enable us to explore the area we're in, but to buy stuff to take home, primarily food and drink! But also, for Del, clothes. She gets lots of clothes in France, as she's very petite (like many French women) and so the 'cut' and style of the clothes in France (particularly dresses, which she wears most), really suit her, and so she loves going round some of the 'posh' independent ladies boutiques/lingerie shops and picking out stuff for me to buy her!

No, I love spoiling her, as he frequently spoils me! And she couldn't shop there on her own, as she doesn't speak French. Plus we often see nice things for the house when going round some of the lovely local markets, or in some of the towns we visit. In effect therefore, our holidays to France are as much about shopping trips as anything else, so with what's going on now with social distancing, etc, I doubt the shopping or eating out experience would be the same as it was before, so that's a big reason why we won't be going abroad this year [and flying anywhere would be even worse].

So no, we'll happily slum it this summer in sunny Wales!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Hi Ray,
    A bit more in his part of Suffolk overnight - and we really need it, garden is looking (and smelling) much fresher this morning.
    I do like overnight rain

Looks like a nice space to chill, Guy!

I also love overnight rain for the same reasons

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robin.

About 15c so far today, nice when the sun is out.
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Looks like a nice space to chill, Guy!

I also love overnight rain for the same reasons

Marco.
    Cheers
    It is south facing so gets very sunny - I'll put up some more photo's on the gardening thread as I am quite pleased with the garden this year (Covid and lots of time in the garden)
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Cheers
    It is south facing so gets very sunny - I'll put up some more photo's on the gardening thread as I am quite pleased with the garden this year (Covid and lots of time in the garden)
    Looks lovely, wish mine was like that. Could get some more rain later and tomorrow.

Feels quite cool today only about 15C, no sun which is unusual.

I'm guy.

Sky has gone very dark and birds have gone quiet - bit of heavy rain on the way (time to start cooking )
    LP12, Ittok (black), DV10X5, NVA Phono 2 (twin supply), NVAP50, Art Audio Quintet 15w power amp, NVA LS5 cable, Rega Ela mk1's.
    Sony CDP XB930.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

We've had a couple of showers here, and because of the rain a boot-sale was cancelled.

But to compensate the local eateries and restaurants have just opened up - so enjoyed a baked potato with tuna mayonnaise and side salad for lunch.
    Barry

I'm Pete.

Very wet here at mo but on a better note the fields are growing nice fresh n bit drier weather on the way from weekend. Hopefully manage to get sheep clipped on saturday although dunno what we gonna do with the wool as prices are just a pisstake at mo. Lot of farmers burning their wool or using it in gateways cant be good for wool market.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorps View Post
    Very wet here at mo but on a better note the fields are growing nice fresh n bit drier weather on the way from weekend. Hopefully manage to get sheep clipped on saturday although dunno what we gonna do with the wool as prices are just a pisstake at mo. Lot of farmers burning their wool or using it in gateways cant be good for wool market.
    I watched a farming programme last week where the guy was saying that wool prices don't even cover the wages for the blokes shearing. That is indeed a pisstake I suppose it could be used to insulate farmhouse roof
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Ray.

Again hardly any rain overnight, only 1mm according to the weather station. So much for the forecasts, meant to pour down this morning also around 8am but nothing. Well at least we've had enough for a while.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast