+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Goodmans Maxim 2

Default Goodmans Maxim 2

I have a pair of Goodmans Maxim 2. I bought them second hand in about 1987.

Is there any merit in replacing the crossover caps, or otherwise modifying the crossovers. The drivers seem absolutely fine.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Alex.

I seem to remember that they had a very large value capacitor in series with the bass unit so as to filter extreme low frequency out.
    Spendorman

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The more commercial speaker lines just used the cheapest caps available in the value and quantity they wanted, so my advice would be to carefully see what you need and replace with some "sensibly priced" polypropylene types.

As for a cap on the bass driver, I remember something being cobbled together once for some Rogers LS3/6's, the bass units of which wobbled all over the place on a vinyl source and IMF did something similar with their RSPM IV's (lovely old boxes those). Getting a better quality large cap for the bass unit may be tricky, but Wilmslow Audio should be happy to assist.

Good luck.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

As for a cap on the bass driver, I remember something being cobbled together once for some Rogers LS3/6's, the bass units of which wobbled all over the place on a vinyl source and IMF did something similar with their RSPM IV's (lovely old boxes those). Getting a better quality large cap for the bass unit may be tricky, but Wilmslow Audio should be happy to assist.

Good luck.
    That's interesting, I have some LS3/6's which are in bits. The autotransformer used for matching tweeter/ bass mid levels is massive.
    Spendorman

Thanks Dave. I am hoping if I take the terminal block off the back I will be able to remove the crossover. I would prefer to leave the bass-mid driver alone.

But will a re-cap make a worthwhile difference? The Maxims at present are only just acceptable.

I listened to some Monitor Audio RX1 this afternoon. I think I could live with them - £399. I think I prefer them to the B & W equivalent. Any other hidden gems out there?

I would love (as you know) to hear and maybe buy some Harbeth P3s, but I will only be in this flat three months a year.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

MA, B&W and KEF's can offer massive markups for some of their dealers. My recommendation is to try the £120 Q Acoustics speakers, which leave China for much the same amount (I'll bet).

£399? You're slipping Brian (AVI N5). These latter are tiny but VERY, VERY GOOD IMO.

Polyprop caps can be got from Maplin as well as Hifi Collective, Wilmslow Audio. Because of the greater diameter of these caps, you may have to go in via the bass unit, but good luck anyway. Tell me what the components are - I have a hanful of summat you can have of the values are right
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    £399? You're slipping Brian (AVI N5). These latter are tiny but VERY, VERY GOOD IMO.
    Yes. It's in my mind, but I can't easily hear it. And its all black, which may be an issue.

This one?

http://www.richersounds.com/product/...qaco-1020i-blk

or more probably the 2020
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/p...FdIB4wodSW5dyA

O, by the way, Dave, you know who in another place is trying to tell me the N5 is better than the P3.

I have not heard either.
    Last edited by Labarum; 09-07-2010 at 20:44.
    Brian

I'm Dan.

Putting together a cheap as chips system came across a pair of Maxim 2's i know they have drawbacks but many moons ago my dad had a pair so would like to compare with decent amplifier on them bit of fun...

Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

Maxim 2s with a decent amp perform extremely well. They are my reserve in Cyprus.

I have used them with a Sugden A48 and a Quad 405-2. Attach a cheap amp and they come up very rough.

Of course it depends on you having a good pair, after all these years.
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread