+ Reply to Thread

Thread: That's it, I give up, desperately help needed with IEMs.

I'm Alex.

Wink That's it, I give up, desperately help needed with IEMs.

I'm looking for decent and reasonably priced IEMs that can satisfy my modest requirements, but there are seem to be too many options with amazing reviews from bass-heads, trance and disco fans that aren't really helpful. I've found most of the obvious budget options: 1More tripple, Audio Tin T4 or P1, Audiosense DT200, Moondrop KXXS, Reecho & Peacock Audio Spring, BLONs, Sonys, etc. Read hundreds of reviews like "bass, middle, treble, bla-bla, bla are great", but then there is someone always steps into these forums and drops, "nice IEMs but but mew for classic music".

My current setup is Beresford Bushmaster -> Hitachi SR-604 with upgraded capacitors -> and then either Klipsch RP-150M (I know, not the best for orchestras, but a heaven for female voices) or AT M50x. I listen to a piano/vocal jazz/blues, opera or classic piano/orchestral music. I'd like to have IEMs for my LG V20 phone with QUAD DAC which is supposed to sound better than most of other phones. I would really appreciate imaging and sound stage, though not sure if this is possible with IEMs. Don't care about the isolation and will likely replace the tips with Comply's.

As for the price, I don't think I can see how I can justify paying a double of ATM50x price for something that is half as good.

Can anyone please direct me?

Thanks

I'm Lawrence.

I use Flares Audio, picked up some of their Pro bluetooth IEMs that come with a balanced DAC/amp/receiver for under £100 used. The only issue is that unless it's AptX BT I noticed a bit of distortion on choral and chamber music. This went away when I got a new phone with AptX so I assume that was the culprit.

They can be used wired as well as BT but the amp is better than most phones and (budget) portable devices so it makes sense to always use it. Along with Tidal (offline downloads where necessary) this has completely changed the way I listen on the move for the better.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm John.

I recently looked at a portable setup as I am currently long term sick at home and going to be in and out of hospital with recovery pero=iods at home also.

I ended up with two options for ear phones.

1. A set of AKG K452 folding on ear headphones. They are pretty good and obviously cabled as I was ultra weary of wireless etc.

2. I then chanced upon a review of the Shanling MTW100 (ver1) and saw a set on a site for £59.00 reduced so decided to try them. Bugger me they are much better than I expected.
    The bass is there but not hyped up and personally I find the mids great without being too prominent or veiled. The highs are good and not piercing. All in an absolute steal for the price in my book.

Both work great from my iPhone XR or iPhone 7.

Just my recent experience.

Edit: You mention image and soundstage. Imaging is very good with the Shanlings but I would admit the stage is quite narrow compared to say a good overear such as the Sennheiser HD600's I used to run a few years back.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by speedyj View Post
    I recently looked at a portable setup as I am currently long term sick at home and going to be in and out of hospital with recovery pero=iods at home also.

1. A set of AKG K452 folding on ear headphones. They are pretty good and obviously cabled as I was ultra weary of wireless etc.

2. I then chanced upon a review of the Shanling MTW100 (ver1) and saw a set on a site for £59.00...

Edit: You mention image and soundstage. Imaging is very good with the Shanlings but I would admit the stage is quite narrow compared to say a good overear such as the Sennheiser HD600's I used to run a few years back.
    Thank you, and I wish you a quick recovery.

I'm Alex.

Default Thanks everyone

Thank you for your recommendations. Spent another week reading reviews of the best of chi-fi IEM. ��

I think the weakest link would be with my phone's DAC. While some say it's better than iPhone's it's still no match to the sound coming out of my proper audio setup into M50x and I don't think a $3000 IEM would make a difference.

Looks like I will start IEM rolling, just pulled a trigger on ebay on Final Audio E3000 at £24, will also try Blons BL-03. E3000 seems to have a "meatier" sound, Blons are better for female voices. May be I will just switch between the two depending on the mood. Or may be will ugrade to something better later. ��
    Last edited by alexk0il; 10-07-2020 at 15:07.

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by alexk0il View Post
    I'm looking for decent and reasonably priced IEMs that can satisfy my modest requirements, but there are seem to be too many options with amazing reviews from bass-heads, trance and disco fans that aren't really helpful. I've found most of the obvious budget options: 1More tripple, Audio Tin T4 or P1, Audiosense DT200, Moondrop KXXS, Reecho & Peacock Audio Spring, BLONs, Sonys, etc. Read hundreds of reviews like "bass, middle, treble, bla-bla, bla are great", but then there is someone always steps into these forums and drops, "nice IEMs but but mew for classic music".

My current setup is Beresford Bushmaster -> Hitachi SR-604 with upgraded capacitors -> and then either Klipsch RP-150M (I know, not the best for orchestras, but a heaven for female voices) or AT M50x. I listen to a piano/vocal jazz/blues, opera or classic piano/orchestral music. I'd like to have IEMs for my LG V20 phone with QUAD DAC which is supposed to sound better than most of other phones. I would really appreciate imaging and sound stage, though not sure if this is possible with IEMs. Don't care about the isolation and will likely replace the tips with Comply's.

As for the price, I don't think I can see how I can justify paying a double of ATM50x price for something that is half as good.

Can anyone please direct me?

Thanks
    Hang on a minute I just realised, I've got something put away that should fit the bill nicely. They have great mids but I find them a bit rolled off in the highs (nicely) compared to the usual bang n tizz ones out there. The cymbals don't sound like they're being crashed next to your ears for example! They're dual driver too with a relatively large "woofer" but again the bass is very balanced, doesn't seem to go as low as some in techno type music but perfect for naturally recorded music. They're quite chunky (like flying saucers) to fit the woofer but very light and no less comfortable than ordinary sized ones.

I remember when I bought them thinking, at last a natural sounding pair of IEMs that don't ram the frequency extremes down your ear. They were my main IEMs until I went Bluetooth with the Flares mentioned above (which aren't as natural as these).

I can't remember what they're called (Lindy I think) but I can do them for £15 plus postage. Happy to do trial and return for postage costs if you don't get on with them.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

I've been using these when out and about or sitting in the garden.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was a bit disappointed with them out of the box as I thought the bass was a bit light. However, the problem was that the ear buds were too small for my ears. I replaced the standard buds with a larger Comply set and things improved greatly.

These are very detailed and airy and are very well made. Can't really go wrong for the price.

I'm Geoff.

I noticed that these have just gone up in price from £22 to £39. Hope some got a bargain whilst they were so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I've been using these when out and about or sitting in the garden.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was a bit disappointed with them out of the box as I thought the bass was a bit light. However, the problem was that the ear buds were too small for my ears. I replaced the standard buds with a larger Comply set and things improved greatly.

These are very detailed and airy and are very well made. Can't really go wrong for the price.

+ Reply to Thread