+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SME 3009 S2 Improved advice

I'm Mike.

Default SME 3009 S2 Improved advice

i've just bought one of these to go on a Thorens TD160 i'm sorting out, anyway i've noticed a lot of play around the pivot with the arm tube being able to be moved and generally just seeming a bit sloppy, it's been years since i've owned one and can't remember if this is normal, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Geoff.

A long time since I had one too, but slack is normal as I recall. It relies on gravity to keep the knife edge bearing engaged.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

Yep, as above - it’s a knife-edge bearing so perfectly normal.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Mike.

Yep you're right, it just feels odd when you screw the counter weight on to have the arm moving around inside the pivot

I'm Dave.

Perfectly normal. It relies on gravity and the weight of the arm to keep it sat nicely on the knife edges.

I'm Mike.

cheers guys, btw is there any way to upgrade the crap nylon knife edge bearings in the S2 Improved?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    cheers guys, btw is there any way to upgrade the crap nylon knife edge bearings in the S2 Improved?
    Yes, you can buy bronze knife edge bearings on the web. Changing the bearings is a bit tricky (you need three hands!), but I'm sure Audio Origami could do it for you.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes, you can buy bronze knife edge bearings on the web. Changing the bearings is a bit tricky (you need three hands!), but I'm sure Audio Origami could do it for you.
    You seem to be a bit of an aficionado on all things SME Barry, is there any other worthwhile improvements for the series 2 improved?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    You seem to be a bit of an aficionado on all things SME Barry, is there any other worthwhile improvements for the series 2 improved?
    Well I have five of them - so know a little about them.

I should add that a later variant of the 3009 (improved) integrated the nylon knife edge bearings with the arm lift platform. If yours is such then you wont be able to replace the knife edge bearings.

If you can manage it, post a photo of the bearings for your arm.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well I have five of them - so know a little about them.

I should add that a later variant of the 3009 (improved) integrated the nylon knife edge bearings with the arm lift platform. If yours is such then you wont be able to replace the knife edge bearings.

If you can manage it, post a photo of the bearings for your arm.
    the arm lift platform on mine is on it's own separate collar if that helps. Also i've just spoken to True Point Audio in Birkenhead, i've never had any dealings with them in the past but they told me they can replace the nylon bearing and the plastic saddle for me, before i pull the trigger i wonder if anyone has any experience with this firm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast