+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SME 3009 S2 Improved advice

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    cheers guys, btw is there any way to upgrade the crap nylon knife edge bearings in the S2 Improved?
    Is the Nylon knife edge crap ?
    Imho nope. I think it’s the wrong way to go to change the knife edge nylon bearing
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

The first 3009 (improved) arms used the steel knife edge bearings used on the previous arms. When the stock had been exhausted, the design of the counterweight decoupling mechanism was modified to adopt the new nylon bearing design. It might be thought that the new nylon bearings were a cost-cutting exercise, but the change was made on SQ grounds: Alistair Robertson-Aikman thought a small amount of decoupling at the bearing was beneficial.

Clearly this is a matter for debate, but judging by the amount of after-market bronze bearings on offer, there are many SME users who think otherwise. I replaced the nylon bearings on my arm with one of the original steel bearings. Some believe that bronze bearings are better, and prefer them to steel types.
    Barry

I'm Mike.

The typical murky area of hifi upgrades then

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Geoff.

The typical murky area of hifi upgrades then
    With a long running product that had various revisions over its lifetime, I guess that's to be expected. I wouldn't let it put me off getting another if I wanted to go that route again though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm jamie.

the arm lift platform on mine is on it's own separate collar if that helps. Also i've just spoken to True Point Audio in Birkenhead, i've never had any dealings with them in the past but they told me they can replace the nylon bearing and the plastic saddle for me, before i pull the trigger i wonder if anyone has any experience with this firm.
    i have, its bad im sorry to say. a total waste of my time when it comes to zeta bearings.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

Can you elaborate any further Jamie??

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"