Closed Thread
Page 80 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast

Thread: The All New FOOTY Thread 20/21

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    yeah of course its no won til its won, and quite a few think its already done and dusted. it isnt. yes im pretty sure it will be but i dont like the idea the team think they have done enough.
    I agree, and would be saying the same if it were Celtic, but Rangers are undoubtedly champions elect, so enjoy it when it comes - and don't be afraid to post a few pics of Tav lifting the trophy, as I haven't exactly been 'shy' in doing similar with Celtic's many recent trophy wins! So fair's fair

I think Kennedy will get a bit more out of the side, but as you say he is not the man for job. Many think Steve Clarke is taking it after the Scotland games. Personally I dont think so and agree with you; They need a name. They have to excite the fans and the players.
    I agree about Kennedy, but he wouldn't be the answer in the long term.

This time it *must* be a big name. Someone of the ilk of Rafa (although I don't think it will be him), with the appropriate CV and ability to attract top players (perhaps even some at the ends of their careers who fancy a crack at playing for a club like Celtic). I'll do some research and come up with some names I think would fit the bill, but SC isn't one, mainly because his focus will rightly be on Scotland.

I think it would take a top team in the EPL to attract him back into club football, and thrust himself into the daily limelight again, which isn't something he relishes or is comfortable with, especially with the 'unsavoury attention' you get in the west of Scotland, from both fans and the media, being either a Celtic or Rangers manager

Not sure the SC will get played at all. Unless they run it as a mini tourney, a bit like the Euro tourneys last season.
    Yup, you may be right, but we'll see. It would be good for it to go ahead in some form, especially in terms of generating income for the smaller teams in these difficult times.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I agree, and would be saying the same if it were Celtic, but Rangers are undoubtedly champions elect, so enjoy it when it comes - and don't be afraid to post a few pics of Tav lifting the trophy, as I haven't exactly been 'shy' in doing similar with Celtic's many recent trophy wins! So fair's fair

I agree about Kennedy, but he wouldn't be the answer in the long term.

This time it *must* be a big name. Someone of the ilk of Rafa (although I don't think it will be him), with the appropriate CV and ability to attract top players (perhaps even some at the ends of their careers who fancy a crack at playing for a club like Celtic). I'll do some research and come up with some names I think would fit the bill, but SC isn't one, mainly because his focus will rightly be on Scotland.

I think it would take a top team in the EPL to attract him back into club football, and thrust himself into the daily limelight again, which isn't something he relishes or is comfortable with, especially with the 'unsavoury attention' you get in the west of Scotland, from both fans and the media, being either a Celtic or Rangers manager

Yup, you may be right, but we'll see. It would be good for it to go ahead in some form, especially in terms of generating income for the smaller teams in these difficult times.

Marco.
    steve clarke didnt distance himself so is probably the new man funny as not that long ago he said he wouldnt take any old firm job when gers were interested
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Lol - why have you heard something?

For me, as good a coach/manager as SC is, he's not the right man for the job at this moment, nor a big enough name to satisfy the Celtic fans just about to shell out on season tickets.

As I've said, it *needs* to be a BIG name/Hollywood appointment - and if they get it, the fans will buy into it big time and hoover up those season tickets. If not, and Celtic can't afford for it to be if not, the disgruntled amongst the Celtic support [and currently there are plenty] will shun them. Therefore, for that reason, as much as any other, the new Celtic manager MUST be 'BOX OFFICE'.

So.... Having thought about it for the last few days. Here are my top five choices (in order of preference):

1) Roberto Martinez (with Shaun Maloney as assistant) - 'The dream team', if they can prize them away from the Belgium job, and I think it's possible.
    2) David Moyes.
    3) Michael O'Neill.
    4) Rafa Benitez.
    5) Frank Lampard.

Your thoughts? Apparently, Martinez is champing at the bit to get back into club management, and a deal could be done. Plus of course, Maloney's a Celtic man and a very intelligent young coach. For me, that 'dream team' would be the dream appointment. I also wouldn't be too disappointed if Roy Keane got a shot at it this time, after losing out before to Brendan Rogers.

However, if not, I'd be more than happy with any of the others listed.

Btw, good luck against Antwerp (just about to watch the game). I think it'll be tight, but you'll get through!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

5-2 tonight for Rangers, and another SUPERB game of football! The two legs against Antwerp have undoubtedly produced the best football I've seen in a LONG time - goals galore, thrills and spills, and *exactly* what football should be all about!!

And what a magnificent advert for Scottish football... WELL DONE, Rangers!

What I'll be praying for now in tomorrow's draw for the last 16, is a tie against Man Utd or Spurs... And another epic BATTLE of BRITAIN. Fukkin bring it on, so the Scots can PUMP the Englanders!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Robin.

5-2 tonight for Rangers, and another SUPERB game of football! The two legs against Antwerp have undoubtedly produced the best football I've seen in a LONG time - goals galore, thrills and spills, and *exactly* what football should be all about!!

And what a magnificent advert for Scottish football... WELL DONE, Rangers!

What I'll be praying for now in tomorrow's draw for the last 16, is a tie against Man Utd or Spurs... And another epic BATTLE of BRITAIN. Fukkin bring it on, so the Scots can PUMP the Englanders!!

Marco.
    Yeah , great result and a good game to watch, front 3 excellent all game
    Regards
    Robin

Acoustic Solid Wood MPX, Ortofon Quintet Bronze
    Pathos Classic Remix Amp, dac
    Cyrus Signature phono stage
    Eversolo DMP-A6
    Cyrus CD i
    ART Stiletto 6V3. Loudspeakers

I'm Grant.

Lol - why have you heard something?

For me, as good a coach/manager as SC is, he's not the right man for the job at this moment, nor a big enough name to satisfy the Celtic fans just about to shell out on season tickets.

As I've said, it *needs* to be a BIG name/Hollywood appointment - and if they get it, the fans will buy into it big time and hoover up those season tickets. If not, and Celtic can't afford for it to be if not, the disgruntled amongst the Celtic support [and currently there are plenty] will shun them. Therefore, for that reason, as much as any other, the new Celtic manager MUST be 'BOX OFFICE'.

So.... Having thought about it for the last few days. Here are my top five choices (in order of preference):

1) Roberto Martinez (with Shaun Maloney as assistant) - 'The dream team', if they can prize them away from the Belgium job, and I think it's possible.
    2) David Moyes.
    3) Michael O'Neill.
    4) Rafa Benitez.
    5) Frank Lampard.

Your thoughts? Apparently, Martinez is champing at the bit to get back into club management, and a deal could be done. Plus of course, Maloney's a Celtic man and a very intelligent young coach. For me, that 'dream team' would be the dream appointment. I also wouldn't be too disappointed if Roy Keane got a shot at it this time, after losing out before to Brendan Rogers.

However, if not, I'd be more than happy with any of the others listed.

Btw, good luck against Antwerp (just about to watch the game). I think it'll be tight, but you'll get through!

Marco.
    Not sure martinez will come up his stock is high so could get a bigger league. Would likely be a great appointment tho. Similar re Benitez.
    Not sure M O N is a Hollywood signing. Lamps would come but experience and his being a blue nose might not make that work. Think Celtic need a experienced youngish man. Donnelly or Duff with Keane maybe. Dont See Moyes taking it eiher. think he got refused before, and he is sitting in 4th in the epl with w ham. Slaven Bilic maybe... Larsson? Dan Petrescu might be a good shout too...oh and the guy Jesse Dersch too..

As to game, I slept right through again. I'm lucky for team when I do that.
    Great result and played well at times I'm told.
    Probably get a big name next but in last 16 they are all good teams.
    Last edited by struth; 26-02-2021 at 08:33.
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Yeah, some good thoughts there... Michael O'Neill isn't 'Hollywood', but just someone I think would do a really good job at Celtic. Just a gut feeling

We'll see in terms of the rest. Didn't know Lampard was a blue nose. Is that a fact or just something you're heard? Anyway, if he was successful that wouldn't bother me. Didn't hold back Jock Stein

Bilic is a good shout, as is the Keane/Duff/Donnelly one. Larsson? Not yet, as he doesn't have the proven track record as a manager, and the last thing he or anyone else at Celtic would want, would be to taint his 'God-like' status by becoming manager and potentially ending up as a dud. That's one for the future, *if* he proves himself at the highest level as a manager somewhere else first.

The Martinez/Maloney partnership would still be my preferred one. It wouldn't be a money thing, (doesn't need it) and he's already 'done' the EPL, so might fancy a crack at something different with an iconic club like Celtic, and doubtless Maloney would sell it to him. Rangers being good now, and with someone like Gerrard at the helm, will actually help attract some top managers to Celtic, as they'd relish the challenge, which might not have been the case before when we were so dominant.

And especially, as looks likely, with fans coming back for next season (to an eventually packed stadium), the attraction is there, as long as decent money was promised in the transfer market. Anyway, it's all exciting stuff and will certainly raise the profile of the SPL!

Bet you'd love Gers to draw Man Utd, for the round of 16... What a mouth-watering tie that would be, unfortunately though with no fans. For me, the 'Battles of Britain'/Scotland vs. England' clashes, like that, are always the most interesting, and usually also the most exciting, as the recent 3-3 draw between Celtic and Man City proved to be!

I always relish the chance to get it RIGHT UP the Englanders who slag off the SPL and don't give the old firm teams the respect/status they deserve!!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Yeah, some good thoughts there... Michael O'Neill isn't 'Hollywood', but just someone I think would do a really good job at Celtic. Just a gut feeling

We'll see in terms of the rest. Didn't know Lampard was a blue nose. Is that a fact or just something you're heard? Anyway, if he was successful that wouldn't bother me. Didn't hold back Jock Stein

Bilic is a good shout, as is the Keane/Duff/Donnelly one. Larsson? Not yet, as he doesn't have the proven track record as a manager, and the last thing he or anyone else at Celtic would want, would be to taint his 'God-like' status by becoming manager and potentially ending up as a dud. That's one for the future, *if* he proves himself at the highest level as a manager somewhere else first.

The Martinez/Maloney partnership would still be my preferred one. It wouldn't be a money thing, (doesn't need it) and he's already 'done' the EPL, so might fancy a crack at something different with an iconic club like Celtic, and doubtless Maloney would sell it to him. Rangers being good now, and with someone like Gerrard at the helm, will actually help attract some top managers to Celtic, as they'd relish the challenge, which might not have been the case before when we were so dominant.

And especially, as looks likely, with fans coming back for next season (to an eventually packed stadium), the attraction is there, as long as decent money was promised in the transfer market. Anyway, it's all exciting stuff and will certainly raise the profile of the SPL!

Bet you'd love Gers to draw Man Utd, for the round of 16... What a mouth-watering tie that would be, unfortunately though with no fans. For me, the 'Battles of Britain'/Scotland vs. England' clashes, like that, are always the most interesting, and usually also the most exciting, as the recent 3-3 draw between Celtic and Man City proved to be!

I always relish the chance to get it RIGHT UP the Englanders who slag off the SPL and don't give the old firm teams the respect/status they deserve!!

Marco.

i'd take one of the weaker sides in this round, not that there are many. Molde or Olympiacos maybe.. Spurs too may be a better bet with their defence. I think 16 will be our limit; last 8 if we get a good draw and play as we can.

Ive heard McCarthy to be in running along with Clarke tbh, but i kinda hope its a bigger name, profile wise for league. Much will depend on how much Celtic will spend on players i think.. Im guessing the big striker is for the off, but there are a lot of players likely needed and they cant all be 5/7 mil ones. The DoF also needs to come in and have a say, this is why it really should have been done and dusted long ago. As you say a exciting nam,e to get the ticket money in; like Gerard, but with more experience.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i'd take one of the weaker sides in this round, not that there are many. Molde or Olympiacos maybe.. Spurs too may be a better bet with their defence. I think 16 will be our limit; last 8 if we get a good draw and play as we can.
    I understand why you'd say that, but if it were me, given as you say you're only likely to get through another round [but who knows?], I'd want a big name, with the potential of beating them, then *really* having a good chance of further progress, as well as the kudos of taking down 'a Man Utd'

Ive heard McCarthy to be in running along with Clarke tbh, but i kinda hope its a bigger name, profile wise for league. Much will depend on how much Celtic will spend on players i think.. Im guessing the big striker is for the off, but there are a lot of players likely needed and they cant all be 5/7 mil ones. The DoF also needs to come in and have a say, this is why it really should have been done and dusted long ago. As you say a exciting nam,e to get the ticket money in; like Gerard, but with more experience.
    I agree with all of that, but I don't think McCarthy or Clarke would excite the Celtic fans - and right NOW, they NEED excited!! Especially if Celtic want to rake in a potential £30m in season ticket sales - every penny of which will be needed to spend on new players!

For Celtic, this is a pivotal moment, where all the stops need pulled out, in order to halt any potential period of Rangers dominance. And for that, the RIGHT man (calibre) of manager must be appointed, so in that respect I'm looking for Dermot Desmond to deliver, as he did with Martin O'Neill and Brendan Rodgers, when it was necessary to pull out the big guns - and that's what I'd expect (and hope) he will do this time.

So what's the deal with Lampard being a blue nose (unless you mean the blue of Chelsea?) State your case

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Closed Thread
Page 80 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast