+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from south west England!

I'm Steph.

Default Hello from south west England!

'Evening all,

I'm Steph, I've been a member for a little over a year, but this is my first posting here. My musical tastes are varied, focusing strongly on electronica and 1970-90 rock. There's also a good stack of jazz, a few classical and goodness knows what else. Most of it's on vinyl, but I'm not wedded to any particular format and have CD and streaming services as well.

In terms of gear, there's quite a bit; Pathos, Musical Fidelity, Audio Research, Noteworthy, Rega, Funk, Thorens and Leema, spread across two systems. Speakers are Ruark; a recently rebuilt set of Crusaders in the main system and a pair of Icons in the second system. There's a set of Sceptre here too, although they've had a hard life and will need a bit of work to get them looking pretty and working properly again.

I also should probably mention Thorens turntables; I have a few, maybe as many as a dozen (lost count!), from the near-ubiquitous TD160 through to a TD521/SME 312s which competes on a near-daily basis with a Phonospohie No.3 for the right to be called top table - I'm fortunate that I can keep two tables set up in the main system all the time. I rebuild Thorens 'tables for fun; currently working on a TD126 MkIV, which I'm hopeful might play a record for the first time in my ownership this coming weekend.

And there's a TD124 MkII which arrived today; it's going to need quite a bit of work to get it into top condition and seeing some relevant threads are here, I thought now was a good opportunity to join in the discussion with people who can hopefully give me the benefit of their experience.

Steph

I'm Geoff.

Hi Steph. Welcome to AOS.

I like your taste in music and equipment.

Join in the fun and chat with everybody, they're all friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Welcome Steph. Sounds like you enjoy your vinyl and especially working on decks thorn.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Steph.

Many thanks guys,

I shall, indeed, pitch in. Time for a wander round first....

Steph

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Steph,

We have several members here who use Thorens decks, including the TD124/II design. If you have any questions, just ask away!

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Steph.

'Evening all,

I just thought I'd drop a quick message in here to reintroduce myself a bit. At the time I joined here (2020!) I was searching for info on TD124 turntables; mine is still not done but over the past few years I've managed to pull together most of the bits required to actually complete it. I just need the time and courage to start the work . The rest of the system remains largely unchanged (Equinoxes have replaced Crusaders) and although this hi-fi lark remains a strong hobby, I've been at the stage where spending has been on music rather than gear for a while.

Anyways, I'm now playing with a few bits, not least a recently-purchased Technics SL-110 and so I thought I'd say 'hello' while I'm wandering round here again.

Steph

I'm Steve.

Welcome back Steph Nowt wrong with concentrating your spending on music, that's what I've been doing for years now.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steph.

Thanks Steve,

It's good to see what's going on and re-igniting an interest. Bristol Hi-Fi show this weekend too!

Steph

I'm Kevin.

Welcome back.

It’s been a while since I went to the Bristol show.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread