+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New world nube

I'm Ralph.

Default New world nube

I credit our 1984 honeymoon in Ireland for introducing me to British hifi magazines (HFN & RR, HiFi for Pleasure, etc) as well as turning me on to some great music that was never played on the oh-so-carefully curated US commercial airwaves! As I was an engineering graduate student at the time, I spent a lot of time drooling over compact British amps and speakers which were out of my reach financially and/or due to lack of an importer. I also became obsessed with designing, building, and measuring loudspeakers and fiddling with picked-from-the-garbage tube gear.

During this time I wrote numerous construction articles for Speaker Builder Magazine and others, wrote software for speaker design including a collaboration with Joe D'Appolito, and co-developed a bass equalizer. If anyone is interested, reprints of some of these articles (which stand the test of time IMO) and free downloads of the software (which can still run on today's Macs and PCs via emulation technology) can be found here, along with several DIY projects.

Also circa 1989 I started a short-lived loudspeaker company Delaware Acoustics, and scored a hot-and-cold review by John Atkinson in Stereophile. FWIW I've recently resuscitated the brand as the Delaware Acoustics Etsy site, with a small lineup of desktop speakers and a modernized LS3/5A lookalike.

Currently I have a few small systems in different rooms as well as several more bulky pieces of gear and speakers collecting dust. I mostly listen on headphones (Sennheiser HD580 or HD600 using an Audio Alchemy class A headphone amp or a DIY triode-based amp), but also have a preferred system consisting of a Creek 4240 integrated amp with DIY planar-magnetic speakers.

I'm mainly a huge music fan, listening for several hours every day primarily to ambient and bedroom pop bands discovered on Bandcamp (and still missing John Peel). I also dabble in recording, under the moniker Luminet.

Looking forward to meeting people with similar interests in this forum!
    Last edited by ralphgonz; 01-07-2020 at 22:14. Reason: correct model number

I'm Geoff.

Hello Ralph. Welcome to AOS.

Sounds as though you've had an interesting time over the years with your various involvements.

I'm sure you'll have much to contribute, so get involved and chat with the members. They're a friendly lot and there's some great knowledge here.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Ralph.

We are always pleased to see new members join who have design experience of audio electronics and speakers.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread