+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaker query?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    5k!! Seriously???
    What's so special about them? Being a Luddite I justith othe thought they'd just be run of the mill speakers?
    If that's the case I'd assume that matching them up wr compatible components Amp/Tuner/Turntable etc is going to start getting rather expensive.
    Any suggestion's for a suitable Amp if I decide to go down that route?
    Not at all. Tannoy dual concentrics are high end speakers, here's a review of the 'Eton' model https://www.avforums.com/reviews/tan...r-review.13980 price is £4.5K

Prices for used Tannoy DC speakers have been climbing steadily for some time as well.

They don't need a powerful or an expensive amplifier. Like Geoff says a NAD or something similar will be fine. Put the speakers either side of your telly, run an optical cable from the telly into a DAC and connect the DAC to the amplifier. Or get an amplifier with the DAC already built in. It will sound amazingly good. Like being in the cinema.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm DAVID.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The upper driver is a proper Tannoy 'pepperpot' dual concentric unit. The nearest modern equivalent is the drive unit in the Tannoy Kensington speaker and you would pay a good few thousand for a set. However, the value of Dorsets is realistically somewhere between £400 and £800 and these are not original. A NAD 3020 would drive them just fine and sound good with them.
    So just to confirm, these original Tannoy "Pepperpots" are the one's I have and non originals are go for between £400-£800?
    I think I'd enjoy the challenge of building a system around these speakers but I'm not sure that my knowledge or bank balance would cope
    I'm in a bit of a quandary now as to what to do
    Any suggestions gratefully received

I'm Alan.

David you are a lucky lad.
    You are starting with a very good pair of speakers that are also quite efficient, meaning they don't need a big powerful amplifier to drive them.

You don't need to spend big money to get a decent sound, do you have any mates with hi-fi kit that you can borrow to see how things fit?

I'm DAVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    David you are a lucky lad.
    You are starting with a very good pair of speakers that are also quite efficient, meaning they don't need a big powerful amplifier to drive them.

You don't need to spend big money to get a decent sound, do you have any mates with hi-fi kit that you can borrow to see how things fit?
    Being no spring chicken myself I remember several of my mates back in the 60's/70's got quite heavily into HiFi.
    As with many thing's we all got married and priorities turned to other thing's and equipment was sold on and replaced with nappies & prams!
    Of those I'm still in contact with none I know of still have any decent equipment.
    I do quite like the idea of rigging the speakers up to the tv as Macca suggested BUT the problem would be I'd need to majorly re-configure the front room and that may be a step to far for herself
    I'll have to have a major think but I may end up putting them back in the loft or having to sell them.
    Decisions..... Decisions

I'm DAVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not at all. Tannoy dual concentrics are high end speakers, here's a review of the 'Eton' model https://www.avforums.com/reviews/tan...r-review.13980 price is £4.5K

Prices for used Tannoy DC speakers have been climbing steadily for some time as well.

They don't need a powerful or an expensive amplifier. Like Geoff says a NAD or something similar will be fine. Put the speakers either side of your telly, run an optical cable from the telly into a DAC and connect the DAC to the amplifier. Or get an amplifier with the DAC already built in. It will sound amazingly good. Like being in the cinema.

Ok, so having slept on it and and weighed up the options I've made a decision.

After reading the replies about these being fairly decent speakers I'm fascinated & intrigued as to how they would actually sound.
    As I don't even know at present if they even work I think I'm going to go ahead and attempt the plan to rig them up to the tv and see how thing's go.
    I'd also like to add something else like a compatible tuner and/or CD player without spending a fortune.
    Geoff suggested adding a NAD 3020 amp of which there seem to be a number for sale on the various internet sites some which appear to be possibly different models ie. 3020A & 3020E? Is there any difference?
    Does the 3020 have the DAC built in or would I also need a separate one?
    Are there any other suitable amps I should be looking out for?
    Similarly with a Tuner & CD player or anything else I would need to get started?
    Any suggestions or thoughts very much appreciated.

I'm Martin.

if you go for one of the NAD 3020 variants (it doesn't really matter which version you pick they are all very similar) then you will need a separate DAC.

You could also look at the A&R A60, or anything by Rotel, JVC, Sony, Yamaha - all assuming that you want to keep the budget low but still get something of reasonable quality.

DACs start at about £30 new, if you have a modern flat screen telly then the simplest way to do it is optical cable from telly to DAC - make sure the DAC you select has optical input, also called TOSlink. An optical cable will cost about a tenner, maybe less.

£150 should about cover all of that and then you can try it out for proof of concept, you can always upgrade all the equipment at a later date.

FM tuners are no longer in demand so you can get one for £20 or less. Again anything from the Jap brands will suffice. My Technics tuner still works fine after 40 years. Although if you have satellite/cable there are a lot of radio stations on there already so you can listen to radio via the TV.

CD players don't tend to last as long so if you buy an old one you might only get 6 months out of it. But adequate can be had for under £50. Or you can buy one new from somewhere like Richer Sounds for about £100. Again you can pay more and get somewhat better sound quality, that's up to you. The CD player can be run stand alone into the line input of the amplifier (tape or aux inputs) or connected via a digital Coax cable (also called s/pdif) to the DAC.

EDIT - not all CD players have digital outputs so check this before you buy if you want to run the cd player through the DAC.

I'm Lawrence.

Actually I'd go for a little Tripath amp which will sit comfortably by the TV. There's one which has a built in DAC and operates fully in the digital domain. There's one for sale on avforums right now.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Here you go the asking price is not far off the new price so scope to make an offer. You offer in the public thread on this forum.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/top...n-dac.2300395/

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm Dennis.

Martin's advice is solid, and there are many second hand Jap amps from the seventies with extremely good performance.

This is an opportunity not to be wasted IMO.

I'm DAVID.

Firstly many thanks to all for your suggestions it really is very much appreciated.

Special thank's to Martin who's given me several options to look out for and above all explained how to rig them up!
    As a start I'm going to try to go with the NAD 3020 if I can find a decent one and a DAC connected to the tv and see how things go.
    Regarding the DAC would this one be suitable > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-Di.../dp/B071WLVXN5 <
    If things go to plan I'll update on any progress.
    Thanks again all you've been a great help.

DaveL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast