+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker query?

I'm DAVID.

Default Speaker query?

Some time ago in the dim and distant past I acquired a pair of speakers from the estate of a deceased relative. It was my intention at the time to put together a system based around these but they got put in the loft and other priorities intervened.
    Recently I was "informed" by she who must be obeyed that it was time to either do something with them or move them on so having struggled to get them out of the loft I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable folk could help me out with a few questions I have about them and suggest the best course of action as to what to do with them

The cabinets appear to have been made (Label on rear) by Brahm's Manufacturing Co Rochester England
    They are floor standing measuring H-850mm W-480mm D-400mm
    The speakers themselves are labeled - Tannoy Dual Concentric Integrated Loudspeaker System - Rating 60w 8ohms - Sensitivity 1 Watt produces 90db @ 1mtr
    On the rear crossover(?) they are marked T185 008806 & the other T185 010152
    From what I have read so far I think the speakers may be called Dorset(?) and are late 70's vintage?

So ..... My question is - Do I keep them and buy/add components to make a complete system?
    Would it be possible to connect them up to my TV as herself quite likes the look of the cabinets?
    Should I forget about keeping them, sell them and look for other items?

Any help/advice/pointers very much appreciated.

DaveL

I'm Geoff.

A photo or two would be useful. The Dorset was a Tannoy speaker model, but Brahms had nothing to do with this as far as I know. It's possible they are bespoke cabinets built by Brahms, but based on a Tannoy model and using Tannoy parts. They could have some value and be well worth using.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm DAVID.

Many thank's for the reply.
    I'll rustle up some pictures.

DaveL

I'm DAVID.

I'm DAVID.

Default More Pictures

I'm Geoff.

It looks to me that somebody has modified Brahms cabinets to accept the drive units from Tannoy Dorset speakers. I'd expect them to sound decent, but they may benefit from extra internal bracing, depending on whether any is present. They'd certainly be worth using I think. Assuming everything is functional, they have some value.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Drivers look to be in good condition. If so I'd keep them, you'd be looking at about 5 grand to replace with a similar new loudspeaker. Get a decent amplifier for them, should sound wonderful.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm DAVID.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Drivers look to be in good condition. If so I'd keep them, you'd be looking at about 5 grand to replace with a similar new loudspeaker. Get a decent amplifier for them, should sound wonderful.
    5k!! Seriously???
    What's so special about them? Being a Luddite I just thought they'd just be run of the mill speakers?
    If that's the case I'd assume that matching them up with other compatible components Amp/Tuner/Turntable etc is going to start getting rather expensive.
    Any suggestion's for a suitable Amp if I decide to go down that route?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveL View Post
    What's so special about them?
    The upper driver is a proper Tannoy 'pepperpot' dual concentric unit. The nearest modern equivalent is the drive unit in the Tannoy Kensington speaker and you would pay a good few thousand for a set. However, the value of Dorsets is realistically somewhere between £400 and £800 and these are not original. A NAD 3020 would drive them just fine and sound good with them.

I'm Grant.

yup i'd think the value is in the pepperpots.. sold seperate you'd get decent money.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast