+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garrard 401 and Neat tonearm project

I'm Steve.

Ok Martin, as I say, there's really no rush. I'll wait out. Much appreciated whenever it's convenient.

That's really interesting Geoff. Mine isn't a G30, there's one here https://audio-andromeda.blogspot.com...neat-g-30.html BUT it tells me that whatever it is the bias mechanism is likely to be an optional extra, and therefore removable if I tie myself in knots with it

I'm Martin.

Not great pics, but hopefully of some use.

I'm Martin.

I searched high and low and couldn't find any specifics on this model, it's not a G30 or G36.

I'm Steve.

Me too!

Really useful pictures thank you. My cable clip improvisation isn't too far off after all, I trimmed it so that it just 'catches' the arm - same principle. The G30 instructions are useful if the bias mechanism is a cross-range thing - there's some instructions on how to set it (assuming I use the same weight or same weight weight) and assuming I can find the dots it refers to, I'll need to get it in a better light.

Blimey I've made more progress in a few hours here than during all those years!

I'm Steve.

Well, after waffling on about mission creep I remembered that I have a really nice piece of green Kirkstone slate in the garden so I've asked a fella that I know for a quote for cutting it. Just waiting now.

In the meantime, if I do that then I apreciate that the deck warrants a better arm so in order to make it future proof in case I get hit by a bus (more likely pushed under one) I think the slate would benefit from one of these circular adjustable armboards https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...52#post1202552 (what a great thread that is).

I've seen them before but I had a search around and can't find much information about them - more particularly the underside and how it's fixed and then adjusted. Can anybody help? Thanks in anticipation.

I'm jamie.

hi steve,thats my armboard,its not adjustable although it may look that way.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Steve.

Hi Jamie, it is indeed! That's a great project on lots of levels, I've toyed with the idea of French polishing the table of one of my guitars so seeing that finish being built up was really nice. The ebony binding just about demoralised me for my project though! But... any reason why you didn't put some ebony (or a black marker pen) separating the veneer sheets

I had a notion that those boards rotated but I suppose it's a case of a new ebony/aluminium/acrylic disk cut each time.

I'm Andrew.

It's been a while since we've heard any news Steve, how's the resto going?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Steve.

Hello Andrew, it's been far too long and I've only just revisited the site. I had a quote of £200 minimum to cut the Kirkstone slate and I was considering that but then spoke to a monument mason friend who said he'd do it.

After that I got a bit stuck on how to 'allow' for the armboard on the slate... it'll obviously need a cut out of some sort for the arm base and wires and I could mark that out for the Neat no problem but I agree that the deck could do with a better arm so I looked into a more future proof cut out. Once the slate is cut, it's cut! Anyway... as I was vacillating on this it was pushed way back on the to do list by other 'stuff'.

I'll hopefully get the stone cut soon so any ideas on the dimensions for a general purpose cut out would be great. The plan is to sit a wood or acrylic board on top of the slate.

By the way, the chrome on the tonearm came up a treat when rubbed with aluminium foil dipped in salt water.

I'm Andrew.

Steve,

i'd completely forgot about this thread. My ears pricked up when a saw 401 restoration projections in the list of updated threads!! Anyway. Just an idea, why don't you get speedy Steve to make you one of his arm pods? I'd then simply cut a circular hole into the plinth to house the tonearm pod. You'll then have a truly decoupled tonearm. It's one of the design features I miss with my 401 plinth, but my plinth does have a decoupled motor, so I suppose it's horses for courses!! Good lucka and don't give in now!

Take care.

A

PS Never even heard of the tip about salt water and Al, must give it a spin sometime.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123