+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Garrard 401 and Neat tonearm project

I'm Steve.

Default Garrard 401 and Neat tonearm project

After being suitably inspired by the forum I've dragged out an old turntable from the loft. Bought in the 80's it has been moved from loft to loft, and nearly ended up at the tip at one point. The motor unit dates from 1974 and I have the original mat but it's still in the loft somewhere. Here it is pretty much as I bought it apart from the mat and the Neat headshell that had a Shure cartridge in it that was put on a workhorse record player years ago and that probably did end up in the tip. The picture shows a cheap headshell that I bought the other day - my first aim is to get it functional and then play around with it a bit.

IMG_20200626_161202293_HDR by stax8, on Flickr

More to follow...

I'm Geoff.

The 401 and Neat arm would certainly work together, but I'd suggest a better arm personally, the 401 deserves it. The Neat was the second cheapest tonearm on the market in the early seventies, whereas the Garrard was often paired with the far more upmarket SME for instance. Should make a nice project.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Here's the plinth that I'll use. Each layer looks like two 18mm pieces of plywood glued together and these are spaced and held together with bolts the likes of whch I've not seen. I plan to use squash balls instead.

Plinth by stax8, on Flickr

I'm Steve.

Thanks Geoff, I've been looking at SME arms (or a Mission 774) but I'd like to get this one working first. Part of the attraction is learning more about the mechanics and that arm has a fairly unusual anti skate mechanism (with a missing weight) that I'd like to fiddle with.

... and I like the way it looks - call me shallow
    Last edited by dahdit; 30-06-2020 at 15:43.

I'm Geoff.

Looks like you're missing the plastic armrest top too. You may find the Technics SL-1200/SL-1210 item will fit and it's cheap. The falling weight bias mech is not an uncommon arrangement, no doubt a suitable replacement for the lost item can be sourced.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Steve.

Blimey, do you have access to my search history Geoff Yes, that was lost too so I have one of those Technics ones on order!

I've been looking for a weight for a few days and the only thing readily available is something described as a wire clamp (something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Pc-Stain...sAAOSwsIBdThHA) but perhaps I'm not looking in the right places. The rod has a diameter of 2mm.

Thanks again!

I'm Andrew.

Good luck with the resto Steve.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Hi Steve,

Nice project you have there. Regarding the arm rest/clamp what you need is something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-P...8AAOSwyKZeT6lI, or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-P...gAAOSw55JerXby.

A replacement 'falling weight' for the anti-skating device could be easily made by anyone with a small lathe. One of our trade members here could do it for you.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

My 301 came with the Neat arm which I sold to help fund the restoration, I may have some better photos of the arm if required.

I'm sorted.

Works well with a Jelco arm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast