+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PMC speakers

I'm Dennis.

I thought the review very refreshing, with many good responses by contributors.

I think that, from what I have been reading over the last few days, many, from amateurs through varying degrees of professionalism, are now challenging what is being produced, and with great incisiveness, and this IMO is what speaker design needs.

I am now sure that it is possible to hear a new speaker which may have a weird response, and be subconsciously overwhelmed by it, and, with time, to also adjust to a non neutral response, and then after habituation to it think it is correct.

Hats off to the Revel designer for his Spinorama measurement technique which seems to me to be a real breakthrough.

I'm Jerry.

Got to agree with Denis, the design of all speakers needs to be challenged. In the case of this particular PMC speaker, I wonder if the transmission line is doing anything as it is so confined and filled with sound insulation material.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Martin.

If you look at the in room response you're basically getting raised bass and raised top end. Similar to the loudness button on old amplifiers. So if you like to listen at low levels it will boost up the frequencies where hearing is least sensitive and will probably sound quite balanced. I notice a lot of people have listening at low levels as a priority so might explain the popularity of this speaker brand. It's always horses for courses in this game.

Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

I'm reminded of the claim "IT sounds the same at low levels as at high levels", which I have come across several times.

Given the nature of the Fletcher-Munson curves, this should not be the case.

I'm Adam.

Amir's measurements are very good. Unfortunately his interpretations of them leaves a bit to be desired in several areas.

It also appears that he only performs a subjective listening test after making the measurements, which leaves him open to high levels of expectation bias.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Martin.

He used to just give the measurements but then some people who don't really get it complained that 'He doesn't even listen!' So he started adding his subjective listening experience and gets criticised for that too. Talk about damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dennis.

It would make sense to me for him to listen first, and then to test, because he can be rigorous in ensuring that he executes the test properly, so no psychological biasing can intrude on the results, and he can then reflect on his personal assessment and see to what extent his impression was right.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    It would make sense to me for him to listen first, and then to test, because he can be rigorous in ensuring that he executes the test properly, so no psychological biasing can intrude on the results, and he can then reflect on his personal assessment and see to what extent his impression was right.
    Absolutely right, it would make sense. There is no way (and little point) to listen subjectively or critically after someone, whom places so much importance on measurements, is aware of them.
    System 1: - Amp - Musical Paradise MP-701 mk2 - Neurochrome 686
    - Source: Audio Technica LP-5 - Custom 6V6 stage - Novafidelity X30 - Soekris 1421 (LPSU) - Custom TDA1541 C3G DAC -
    - Speakers: Martin Logan Prodigy's - Subs: - REL T3's -

System 2 - Amp: Musical Paradise MP 303/Custom 300B SET - Custom 6SL7 Pre -
    - Source: Pioneer N-30K - SONCOZ SGD1 -
    - Speakers: Loth X BS1's - Sub: REL T3 -

I'm Martyn.

A friend burned the voice coils on his DB-1 speakers.
    PMC wanted an incredible amount of money for replacement drive units.

They weren’t interested in helping with getting new voice coils fitted.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    A friend burned the voice coils on his DB-1 speakers.
    PMC wanted an incredible amount of money for replacement drive units.

They weren’t interested in helping with getting new voice coils fitted.
    I'm not sure what point you're making here? I can think of no loudspeaker manufacturer who would sell you voice coils on their own and to do so would be pointless anyway, as no user at home has the necessary jigs and production aids to fit them properly, unless they once worked for the drive unit manufacturer and nicked a set from the production line!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast