+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie.....needs lots of advice and help!

I'm daney.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If you want trouble free and good value, stick with Rega.

If you want to spend more, go for the Rega P2 with Io or Brio.
    Thanks for that...I was looking at rega 1 and 2...there is also a Rega P1 Plus? ...is that any/much better than the P1...or is it worth the not so much extra , I guess is what Im asking!

I'm daney.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Don't forget to budget for some sturdy stands for your B&Ws. Small, rear ported speakers usually need them and tend not to work well on shelves.
    Quote Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
    If I was starting again, I would buy used, far better value, there is loads of stuff even nearly new around half price. Yes you will need stands which you can get for around £20 used or £50 new. If you lived nearer you could have had mine.
    Thanks for that both.....they will be added , so my budget can be upped accordingly! Lol!

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    Thanks for that...I was looking at rega 1 and 2...there is also a Rega P1 Plus? ...is that any/much better than the P1...or is it worth the not so much extra , I guess is what Im asking!
    The P1 is excellent but if you can afford a P2 go for that rather than the plus.

I'm Adrian.

Not sure you will find one at a sensible price but these are pretty good, Sansui A517, http://listeninn.com/Website/Used-In...U-517-Info.htm, they are supposed to be pretty robust and sound good. Should drive your BW's I think.

Others on AoS may know of an A517 that's available and good.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm daney.

Thanks again for all your replies..

Apologies to , for so many questions!

Ive been looking at e-bay etc...I was looking at an 18 month old Audiolab 6000A..........I "think" it must have been mentioned in a thread I made on a watch forum...

Its up for sale at about £450..........ish.....I think maybe its a bit more than what I was looking to pay, but Im really clueless to be honest!!

Are these any good, or maybe its better for me to go "older"?

Again! Sorry for all the questions!

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Not sure you will find one at a sensible price but these are pretty good, Sansui A517, http://listeninn.com/Website/Used-In...U-517-Info.htm, they are supposed to be pretty robust and sound good. Should drive your BW's I think.

Others on AoS may know of an A517 that's available and good.
    Just remember this that Audio Al had up for sale, they have a good reputation, just find a nice pre-amp and you would be set up, PM Al and see if he still has it https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ifier-for-sale
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm daney.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Just remember this that Audio Al had up for sale, they have a good reputation, just find a nice pre-amp and you would be set up, PM Al and see if he still has it https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...ifier-for-sale
    Thanks for that...

Im getting more confused now though! It seems really cheap, I must admit...Ive no idea what a pre-amp is!! I assume I just plug the pre-amp into the above or vice versa? Then its ready to go?!

Sorry...I really am not up to all this technology! lol........still its good to learn it all!

I'm Grant.

think they are maybe talking about a phono preamp. ie for a turntable
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Daney is looking for uncomplicated options, so probably best to stick with an integrated amplifier with built-in MM phono stage.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm daney.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Daney is looking for uncomplicated options, so probably best to stick with an integrated amplifier with built-in MM phono stage.
    I am really looking for something which is as uncomplicated as possible yes!.

So it looks like an integrated amp. is what I need...Ive seen on another forum a turntable

"linn axis turn table with audio technica at440mla cartridge not had much use £300"...would this be suitable...or would I be better off looking for a Vega turntable?

I cant seem to find many second hand Vega planar tt for sale....looking about a P1 ia £200 ish, and the planar 2 for double that.....So Im still undecided/unsure......I guess though, it depends on what type of amp. (and the cost of it!) as to which turntable I get...as has been said, a C.D. player I assume isnt that "important".. (I mean regarding spec. price etc?).

Oh yes!! then there is the tuner....it sure is a rabbit hole isnt it! lol!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast