+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviving Walnut Veneer - what is a good product?

I'm Philip.

Default Reviving Walnut Veneer - what is a good product?

Hi,

I have some cabinets that need waxing or some such treatment. They are walnut veneer. Can anyone with experience in furniture restoration advise me on what is best to use? I'm sure there are many products to use but these are in good condition and I want to use whats best.

Thanks!
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers...

I'm jamie.

Can you post a photo please? Also what finish is on them?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    Can you post a photo please? Also what finish is on them?
    I used this with great success.

Very easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Philip.

Yes, sorry...images below. I'm not sure what finish. They've been in storage for some time. The tops and sides are particularly faded. The front is darker where the grilles have been left on.

I'm Ben.

I’d be using Walnut oil on those or French Polishing them. They look natural and pretty dry.

Edit

Hemp oil is another great alternative.
    Last edited by HD Goofnut; 29-06-2020 at 17:53. Reason: As Per Edit Above.

I'm Philip.

Yes they’re certainly looking dry. I will investigate your suggestions at the diy shop. Looking online I seem to get mostly skin care products.

Thanks Boyce for the Howard suggestion also. It seems to get plenty of good reviews online.

If anyone has any tips for this kind of thing I’m all ears also. I touched up a pair of Eatons last month but they weren’t in as good a condition as these are so I’m a touch more concerned about getting this right. Someone told me that I need to clean any dirt and ‘grease’ off them before applying anything. Would some soft wire wool and methylated spirits be ok?
    Last edited by HarryCrumb; 30-06-2020 at 16:59.

I'm Peter.

Harrycrum,

Other than a full French Polish that might cost you an arm an leg, my suggestion gave me the most satisfying finish and was just so easy.

My Tannoy cabs were in worse condition than yours and finished up like new. Just shocked how good this stuff is.

Anyway, at the end of the day, the choice is yours

yours truly (Mr Amature)

I'm Peter.

Opps, Ment to say, I used Thinners and 0000 wire wool to clean the cabs first.

I'm Grant.

yup a rub down with wire wool and either spirit or water, vinegar and a little soap... dry then oil/wax them a few times.. plenty info online.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ben.

If that is natural wood it needs feeding with oil not a wax product. Think of wood as living, just like old lime plaster walls. It needs to breath, if you put wax on it and work it into the grain you will suffocate it.

Stay away from chemicals, if you want to clean them use Murphy’s Oil Soap Wood Cleaner - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Walnut Oil - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phillips-En.../dp/B00K7AFTAE

Hemp Oil - https://fusionmineralpaint.com/hemp-oil-feed-grain/

Regarding French Polishing it’s is easy. Just take your time. I taught myself using the video below.

Last edited by HD Goofnut; 30-06-2020 at 19:16. Reason: Links Added.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast