+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What does one consider to be the best sounding tonearm

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    The only arms I would consider swapping my V for would be either the Audionote arm 3 or the Fidelity Research FR64S.
    For the simple reason is synergy with my Voyd, same with any arm/deck combination.
    I know its not always most fashionable arm out there but I would stick with the sme V over the audio note and Fidelity Research Fr64s.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

[QUOTE=Vrajbasi;1203265]I know its not always most fashionable arm out there but I would stick with the sme V over the audio note and Fidelity Research Fr64s.[/QUOT
    At the moment I'm happy with it and it's so easy to set up a cartridge, plus it sounds great, I'd have to hear a difference before changing it.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Nari.

[QUOTE=chris@panteg;1203389]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I know its not always most fashionable arm out there but I would stick with the sme V over the audio note and Fidelity Research Fr64s.[/QUOT
    At the moment I'm happy with it and it's so easy to set up a cartridge, plus it sounds great, I'd have to hear a difference before changing it.
    A good friend of mine who runs a Voyd Reference has just changed his series V for the graham phantom elite 9" we compared arms the phantom elite was a staggering improvement on Reference the synergy was quite some thing. The price is quite something too compared to a series V at 12k ish I suspect the latest phantom 3 at half the price could be a good option having heard it on other turntables.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm jamie.

If there is such a thing as synergy why do we strive to isolate the tonearm from motor noise and plinth resonance ?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    If there is such a thing as synergy why do we strive to isolate the tonearm from motor noise and plinth resonance ?
    My understanding is that the Arm should be coupled directly to the armboard/subchassis in the case of the Voyd anyway.
    Chris

I'm steve.

I had a Kuzma Stogi on a Townshend Rock for over 30 years, I’d had a Helios, Ittok, RB300 previously and it beat all of them, £350 back in 1987 and a stone cold bargain, built like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I had a Kuzma Stogi on a Townshend Rock for over 30 years, I’d had a Helios, Ittok, RB300 previously and it beat all of them, £350 back in 1987 and a stone cold bargain, built like a tank.

Doesn't surprise me in the least, the Kuzma Stogi is an excellent, and IMO, an under-rated arm. As you say "built like a tank", and looks it!

Barry

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Doesn't surprise me in the least, the Kuzma Stogi is an excellent, and IMO, an under-rated arm. As you say "built like a tank", and looks it!

I agree all Kuzma arms are wonderful owned a Kuzma Stogi ref and various four points and a Airline a wonderful arm indeed.

I'm Chris.

I still have the hifi choice review from 1991 of the Kuzma and the Stabi turntable, highly recommended.

I must say I'm quite taken by the Project signature 10 inch arm, very competitive price at £1750 and looks gorgeous in the chrome finish.
    Chris

I'm Peter.

Yes, with both Jelco and SME leaving the tonearm market, there's a big hole to fill ... who know, maybe Pro-Ject will step up?

To answer the original question, probably the 'best sounding' arms I've heard are linear trackers ... or rather not heard, as they don't 'sound' of anything much, afaict. Difficult to do properly and usually costly and fiddly, but the very best can really show the true capability of the top decks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast