+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What does one consider to be the best sounding tonearm

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Michael Fremer uses a SAT arm, the best he's heard, a snip at £30,000 though he got a discount.
    It looks very well made, Fremer describes it's performance as impossible? Whatever that means.
    I owned the original SAT the same arm Fremer owns on the same turntable the continuum caliburn, the primary control field coil arm pips it in my opinion. The arm I refer to is the cf1 at over 50k.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm jamie.

mean while in the real world.
    hmm well my current arm beat the best of the 80's british offerings by a country mile. mission 774,alphason hr100,zeta etc. it destroyed the lot.
    audio technica's top tonearm taken to another league with the mods phonomac has done.

Last edited by karma67; 05-07-2020 at 17:19.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I owned the original SAT the same arm Fremer owns on the same turntable the continuum caliburn, the primary control field coil arm pips it in my opinion. The arm I refer to is the cf1 at over 50k.
    Once again Nari you blithely refer to arms that most of us have not heard of, yet fail to show any images.

Is this the arm you refer to?

At least the price of this arm is a lot more reasonable.
    Barry

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Once again Nari you blithely refer to arms that most of us have not heard of, yet fail to show any images.

Is this the arm you refer to?

At least the price of this arm is a lot more reasonable.
    Yes this the one its 27k in the uk still a crazy sum of money for a tonearm but delivers the goods for sure. I am delighted with it makes music to my ears.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    mean while in the real world.
    hmm well my current arm beat the best of the 80's british offerings by a country mile. mission 774,alphason hr100,zeta etc. it destroyed the lot.
    audio technica's top tonearm taken to another league with the mods phonomac has done.
    My Phonomac fettled Audio Techica 1010 is the best arm I've owned. It easily bettered the linn arms I've had previously.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I bought one on th strength of this review sadly did not do it for me, it was a big sound for sure huge in fact but rather overblown and a bit aggresive. The latest SAT seems to be much better.

I'm Gary.

My head (as a kid at 16 and saw the ads in the magazines) always said an SME V...
    Had one, loved it...and as an Adult sold it.

Best I've heard by a Continent mile is Rega's new flagship.

Interestingly...the Engineering is "at least" as good as the V...it's actually better.
    Every part is held together by tolerances, nothing more.

As a Mechanical Engineer and Vinyl guy I can say hand on heart that's quite the thing.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

The only arms I would consider swapping my V for would be either the Audionote arm 3 or the Fidelity Research FR64S.
    For the simple reason is synergy with my Voyd, same with any arm/deck combination.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Gary.

Totally.

Synergy synergy synergy.
    In the conext of an all Rega system the Engineering makes sense.

Been where you are my friend (and remember your Handle from WAY back in the Day)...the Hobby (to me) is about picking your point of Happiness and enjoying the Music....

Never hear a top whack Mac with a Goldmund Reference...
    Happily, we don't need to!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast